Displaying server/domain name on the logon screen.

Question

• Hi,

I'm running a blade server farm which consists of around 40 windows 2008 R2 servers for multiple domains, I need to display the server name plus the domain name on the welcome screen, since currently I have to logon to each one to know which is which.

Thanks in advance.
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use this microsoft sysinternals tool to use the wallpaper for system information:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897557.aspx

Under the [Desktops] button you can specify if you want this info to be displayed on logon screen.
    R2 and Windows 7 have a different way of displaying the logon screen then Server 2008 R1 and Vsita so i hope this utility can work with R2

Danny.
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 8:40 AM
  • Thank you Danny, but unfortunately that utility did not show the information on the logon screen.

In early Windows 2003 you could just click on the drop down domain menu to know the server name, starting with 2008 things got complicated.....

Saturday, October 03, 2009 10:40 AM
  • Hi 

Are you deploying BGInfo using Group Policy Prefernces?.

you have put your BGInfo exe and config file on the \\domain\netlogon\...  share. and then create a shortcut to \\domain\netlogon\...\bginfo.exe via GPP and place it in the All Users Startup Start Menu folder.

And also refer this Article : http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6833

I hope it works fine!

Thanks...

Deva --Self-trust is the first secret of success.
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 5:56 PM
  • Thanks Deva, but I want the information to be shown before the administrators logon to the servers (i.e., on the logon screen), and it seems the current version of BGinfo doesn't work for that option yet on Windows 2008 nor R2!

Sunday, October 04, 2009 6:28 AM
  • Hi

As far I knew BgInfo v4.13 & V4.15 is supported windows Server 2008 and r2 64 and 32 bit logon screen.

Refer Technet Articel :

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/b8ca08d0-7d9d-41c2-bc79-a52f75cdb52c

Thanks...

Deva --Self-trust is the first secret of success.
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 5:49 PM
  • well, I have tried BGinfo on one of our Windows 2003 servers and it seems working fine, when someone locks the screen or logout the information remains there BUT that is not the case in Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2, the BGinfo does not show the information on the locked screen or the logon welcome screen, all it does is showing the information on the background after someone logon.

If someone has any workaround it would be appreciated, all I want is to show the machine name plus the domain name on the logon screen no more than that......
    Monday, October 05, 2009 5:07 AM
  • In that case you can create your own wallpaper with server name and domain typed in the wallpaper and follow the procedure for changing the logon screen wallpaper in Windows 7 (Windows 7 en 2008 R2 have a lot in common)

Utility to change the logon screen wallpaper:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Windows-7-Logon-Background-Changer.shtml

If have tested this on my R2 test server and this works.

Danny

Monday, October 05, 2009 10:44 AM
  • Thank you Danny for your efforts finding that workaround, but I was looking for something dynamic since we have large quantity of servers (not to mention the VM ones).
    Monday, October 05, 2009 11:26 AM
  • If the version that Deva recommended for R2 does not work Then you will have to wait for a version of BGinfo that will work with R2.

Friday, October 09, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Or maybe some of the smart programmers on these forums can find us a solution.......

Saturday, October 10, 2009 5:28 AM
  • Bump.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:02 AM
  • Did anyone find a solution to this?

I am also looking to do the same

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 2:31 AM
  • what about if you put in the LegalNoticeCaption and LegalNoticeText in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\WinLogon?
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 4:33 PM
  • It might be easier to just remove the restiction,...let them set it to what it should be and then put the restriction back.  Those settings are not something that a user is going to be just itching to get in there and mess with it anyhow,...so I probably would not have the restiction anyway.

Meinolf's suggestion should take care of new "future" users from that point.

--
    Phillip Windell

The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
    or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "Robby Gunawan" <=?utf-8?B?Um9iYnkgR3VuYXdhbg==?=> wrote in message news:6d760841-43ec-4aeb-8699-42e2daa12fb6...
    what about if you put in the LegalNoticeCaption and LegalNoticeText in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\WinLogon?
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:01 PM
  • Sorry, I replied to the wrong thread.

Don't mind me,..I'm just an idiot.

--
    Phillip Windell

"Phillip Windell" <=?utf-8?B?UGhpbGxpcCBXaW5kZWxs?=> wrote in message news:12efa189-51a4-47e9-8864-70a1b3b6345d...
    It might be easier to just remove the restiction,...let them set it to what it should be and then put the restriction back.  Those settings are not something that a user is going to be just itching to get in there and mess with it anyhow,...so I probably would not have the restiction anyway.

Meinolf's suggestion should take care of new "future" users from that point.

--
    Phillip Windell

"Robby Gunawan" <=?utf-8?B?Um9iYnkgR3VuYXdhbg==?=> wrote in message news:6d760841-43ec-4aeb-8699-42e2daa12fb6...
    what about if you put in the LegalNoticeCaption and LegalNoticeText in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\WinLogon?
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:08 PM