none
How to use hyper-v with internet - when i already use ICS

Question

• Hi,

I am having a bit of a problem...

I am using Windows 8 Enterprise x64 as my host OS for Hyper-V - Already joined to a server 2012 domain.

-----------

When making a new virtual network switch - everything works fine - until the time I've installed a guest OS (server 2012 standard ).

---------

I am already using ICS sharing my WIFI connection with the rest of the network.

When I make a new switch I told it - external - and use the physical NIC as the bridge. as that's whats connected to the rest of my internal network.

-----

Soon as I do this - the guest OS has no network connection - even with all IPs set right -

On further inspection my LAN card has lots unticked - like ipv4 / ipv6 etc.

------

It does make a virtual adapter in the middle of those 2 (lan and wifi).

------

so I don't know if this is possible - but can I somehow make it so I can still use my LAN card for internal domain access - and somehow make it use the shared wifi connection still?

------

Any other questions please let me know.

-----

not sure what to do here - and when I use the LAN card for the virtual switch - it stops all ip componants and I then cant even access my internal (physical network anymore).

-----  Hope someone can help because I have no idea how im gonna make this work.

ICS must work the same as before using hyper-V as should my normal internal Lan card - or it seems I have big problems.

Thank you for your help

Timez

Thursday, January 17, 2013 12:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand your scenario now, this is really a complex network for me, actually I’m not familiar with network configuration. :-)

Okay, correct me if my understanding is wrong:

Your WiFi card connect to your neighbor’s wireless AP
    You set statics IP for WiFi card, default gateway is 192.168.1.254, so the wireless AP is 192.168.1.254
    You configured WiFi ICS for Ethernet, then your 2012 server connect to Ethernet port can access internet You mentioned the 2012 Server has IP 192.168.1.1, why set Ethernet DNS as 192.168.1.1? I think the DNS should set as 192.168.1.254
    You created External virtual network using Ethernet NIC, this changed Ethernet NIC properties. As my above posting mentioned, I think you just need to create an Internal virtual network, and then create network bridge. According to current scenario, you may try both solutions: bridge Internal vNIC and WiFi NIC; bridge Internal vNIC and Ethernet NIC.

Try that and give us feedback for further troubleshooting.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 18, 2013 9:12 AM
  • I' using Windows 8 with HyperV and use ICS to share Internet connection (wifi adapter) with VM's, but I use an internal switch (connection between VM's and HyperV Host), that I named NAT.

Now I have a vEthernet interface. If you configure this interface with a static IP 192.168.137.1/24 without Gateway, this is default ip Gateway  for ICS, the VMs can reach to Internet.

Regards,

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

> I am already using ICS sharing my WIFI connection with the rest of the network.

How you configured ICS sharing?

In my experience, you only should create an internal network switch for guest VMs, and then bridge the Virtual Internal network switch adapter and the WIFI adapter. Then VMs which has internal network adapter can access internet.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Bringing Hyper-V to “Windows 8”
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/07/bringing-hyper-v-to-windows-8.aspx
    Hyper-V: Virtual Networking Survival Guide
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/151.hyper-v-virtual-networking-survival-guide-en-us.aspx
    Windows Server® 2012 Hyper-V Network Virtualization Survival Guide
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/11524.windows-server-2012-hyper-v-network-virtualization-survival-guide.aspx

Lawrence

Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:12 AM
  • just curious if you have clicked the checkbox "Allow management operating system to share this network adapter" External Switch, virtual switch properties?

if not you will experience connection errors like you describe.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:52 PM
  • ok well basically I have no internet of my own yet - but am friends with my neighbour who allows me to use theirs as long as I never mess with their router etc.

so I connect to that with my wifi card and then share it through the Ethernet card out to the rest of my network. (all in the laptop - as I have a wifi card and an Ethernet card)

This works fine -

just for simplicity sake lets say the network is....

A laptop running windows 8 enterprise x64 and a PC running windows server 2012 standard x64

(I will include IP Pictures at the end of this post)

----------

BEFORE HYPER-V

-----------

External Internet -> laptop wifi card -> ICS -> laptop Ethernet card -> PC

-----------

Im not sure what you mean by how do I have ICS configured?

I right click on the wifi adapter and tell it share this internet connection (and once it changes my Ethernet ips to 192.168.137.? etc - I change them back to what they should be - leaving the default gateway blank.

-----------

What I need is for any guest OS on the laptop (with hyper v) be able to get out to the internet AND be able to commucate with the rest of the network (eg the server 2012 box)

That doesn't happen.

------------

The IP of the server is 192.168.1.1

The IP of the laptop is 192.168.1.25 (which is what I put as the default gateway in any other computers).

That works fine as long as I don't do the hyper-V thing - because it unticks ipv4 and ipv6 and the Ethernet card no longer has an IP to reach it on.

------------

Pictures..

BEFORE HYPER-V USE...

(Only have these 2 network connections - wifi and Ethernet...

----------------------------------

WIFI IPs

-----------------------------------

ETHERNET IPs

----------------

Follows in next post....

• Edited by Timez82 Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:43 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:28 PM
  • ----------------------------------

NETWORK CONNECTIONS

ICS Properties...

-------------

Follows in next post...

---------------

Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:36 PM
  • ----------------------

Ethernet card tick boxes

----------------------

-------

This all works fine - I can use my domain as normal and also have internet on laptop and server.

This is what happens when I try to use hyper-V ...

(Follows in next post)

Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:42 PM
  • ----------------------------------

Creating the virtual Switch (I Used the Ethernet option that's blue)

------------------------

The Properties for the wireless card didn't change at all so I will just put the other 2 - Ethernet and V-switch)....

--------------------------

Ethernet Tick Boxes

--------------------------

Follows next post...

• Edited by Timez82 Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:32 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:18 PM
  • ------------------

Virtual Switch Tick Boxes

-------------------

------------------

Virtual Switch Propeties

-------------------

(It would appear it moved all the ip info to the virtual switch from the Ethernet adapter)

Follows next post...

Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:26 PM
  • ----------------

Network Connections

----------------

----------------

I only have internet on the laptop like this - not on the server or on any guest OS.

Sorry for all the screenshot I wasn't sure how else to explain it all

-----------------

Thank you for your time and hope I can sort this.

Timez82

Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:30 PM
  • Hi,

I understand your scenario now, this is really a complex network for me, actually I’m not familiar with network configuration. :-)

Okay, correct me if my understanding is wrong:

Your WiFi card connect to your neighbor’s wireless AP
    You set statics IP for WiFi card, default gateway is 192.168.1.254, so the wireless AP is 192.168.1.254
    You configured WiFi ICS for Ethernet, then your 2012 server connect to Ethernet port can access internet You mentioned the 2012 Server has IP 192.168.1.1, why set Ethernet DNS as 192.168.1.1? I think the DNS should set as 192.168.1.254
    You created External virtual network using Ethernet NIC, this changed Ethernet NIC properties. As my above posting mentioned, I think you just need to create an Internal virtual network, and then create network bridge. According to current scenario, you may try both solutions: bridge Internal vNIC and WiFi NIC; bridge Internal vNIC and Ethernet NIC.

Try that and give us feedback for further troubleshooting.

Lawrence

Friday, January 18, 2013 9:12 AM
  • I' using Windows 8 with HyperV and use ICS to share Internet connection (wifi adapter) with VM's, but I use an internal switch (connection between VM's and HyperV Host), that I named NAT.

Now I have a vEthernet interface. If you configure this interface with a static IP 192.168.137.1/24 without Gateway, this is default ip Gateway  for ICS, the VMs can reach to Internet.

Regards,

Friday, January 18, 2013 3:50 PM