none
Re-installing CALS after installing RD Session Host Role Service

Question

• Hi.

I have a server running server 2008R2. I had to install the RD Session host service to allow more then two RDP users at once, and also had to install the license manager as it wasnt on the server previously.  My copy of server 2008R2 came with 2 CALS. I have no documentation telling me CAL license numbers other then the generic white paper that is included in the CD case telling me how many licenses I have. I do have the product key and I have it set up as per user. 

Where can I go to get these CALS set up? It is running at the moment but the license manager isnt happy. I dont know if the CALS got wiped when I isntalled the services? or if they never were installed in the first place. 

Thanks 

gota love technology

Monday, January 21, 2013 4:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

No RDS CALs are included with Server 2008 R2, they must be purchased separately.  You may have a maximum of two Active Remote Desktop connections for administrative purposes without purchasing a license.  To use these administrative connections you need to use the /admin command line switch, like this:

mstsc /admin

Regular users/devices (your choice) connecting to your server using Remote Desktop and running applications (like Office, CRM, Accounting, etc.) need a RDS CAL.

-TP

Monday, January 21, 2013 11:13 AM
  • Hi,

That means that your windows server license includes 5 windows CALs, which are different than RDS CALs.  To use RDS each user/device needs to have both a windows CAL and a RDS CAL.  In addition any software that is installed/used on the server needs to be licensed properly (for example, MS Office volume licenses for each connecting device).

-TP

Monday, January 21, 2013 11:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

No RDS CALs are included with Server 2008 R2, they must be purchased separately.  You may have a maximum of two Active Remote Desktop connections for administrative purposes without purchasing a license.  To use these administrative connections you need to use the /admin command line switch, like this:

mstsc /admin

Regular users/devices (your choice) connecting to your server using Remote Desktop and running applications (like Office, CRM, Accounting, etc.) need a RDS CAL.

-TP

Monday, January 21, 2013 11:13 AM
  • Thanks TP. 

I have a white piece of paper inside the windows server 2008R2 CD Case that says that the number of client access licenses **5**

Is this just saying i can have 5 licenses? or is it a license for 5 CALS? There is no license number or anything printed on it though

gota love technology

Monday, January 21, 2013 11:01 PM
  • Hi,

That means that your windows server license includes 5 windows CALs, which are different than RDS CALs.  To use RDS each user/device needs to have both a windows CAL and a RDS CAL.  In addition any software that is installed/used on the server needs to be licensed properly (for example, MS Office volume licenses for each connecting device).

-TP

Monday, January 21, 2013 11:27 PM