none
See what files are downlading/downloaded from wsus and force download

Question

• Hi all,

I would like to see what files are downloading after I approved updates. The reason is that, for testing reasons, I approve updates and test them on a test machine (client). In wsus, the client machine has updates to be installed, but when I run Windows Update on the client (wuauclt /detectnow), there are no update avaliable, because wsus as not finished the download (I guess).

Is there a way to see what files are downoading or must be downloaded ? Can I force the downlaod if I need it quickly ?

Thank you for your response.

Best regards.

Matteo, .NET Developer and System Engineer

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 5:00 PM

Answers

• Is there a way to see what files are downoading or must be downloaded?
    Certainly. Filter on Approval=Approved in the All Updates view, enable the File Status column, and sort on File Status. The updates with the "Files not downloaded" icon are not downloaded; the updates with the "Ready" icon are downloaded.
    Can I force the download if I need it quickly?
    Not really. Updates are queued for download in the order in which they are approved -- thus the importance of approving the updates you "need quickly" FIRST, and then approving the other updates later.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

• Marked as answer by joujoukinder Monday, March 05, 2012 9:06 AM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 1:04 AM

All replies

• Is there a way to see what files are downoading or must be downloaded?
    Certainly. Filter on Approval=Approved in the All Updates view, enable the File Status column, and sort on File Status. The updates with the "Files not downloaded" icon are not downloaded; the updates with the "Ready" icon are downloaded.
    Can I force the download if I need it quickly?
    Not really. Updates are queued for download in the order in which they are approved -- thus the importance of approving the updates you "need quickly" FIRST, and then approving the other updates later.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

• Marked as answer by joujoukinder Monday, March 05, 2012 9:06 AM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 1:04 AM
  • In addition, Once you approve an update,normally,It will trigger the downloading process immediately.You can even see the downloading process status in the overview pane of your WSUS console.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 6:38 AM
  • Thank you for you response. I added the column of the download status to the view, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Some updates, even small, take a long time to be downloaded... I guess this is because Microsoft Servers are busy.

Thank to both of you.

Best regards.

Matteo, .NET Developer and System Engineer

Monday, March 05, 2012 9:06 AM