none
Forum FAQ: How to copy directory with all access rights.

General discussion

• Question

How can I copy files to another partition with NTFS permission settings? How can I dump the ACEs of a file/folder to a plain text file or an Excel file?

Answer

Question 1: How can I copy files to another partition with NTFS permission settings?

Answer 1: To copy the directory to the destination path by conserving the security settings( ACL with all ACEs), you may consider using the Robocopy utility as what Cory mentioned.

robocopy <Source> <Destination> /e /sec

Ex. robocopy c:\home E:\home /e /sec

/e: Copies subdirectories. Note that this option includes empty directories.

/sec: by using this option, we can copies files with their security.

Please ensure the logon user has the permission to read files in the source directory and create/write files to the destination path.

Question 2: How can I dump the ACEs of a file/folder to a plain text file or an Excel file?

Answer 2: To fulfill the demand, you may consider using AccessEnum to list all the NTFS security settings on all the folders of a server, and you may also output the result into a txt file.

AccessEnum v1.32

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897332.aspx 

Steps: List all the NTFS permissions on the server and write the output to a txt file.

a. Double-click AccessEnum.exe.

b. Click "Directory…", you may select a directory (ex. C:\Windows) or a partition (ex. C: partition) in the "Browse for folder" dialog box.

c. Click "Scan" button to enumerate all the NTFS permissions on the target directory or partition in the console.

d. After enumeration, you may click "Save" to save the report as a "NTFS.txt" file.

More Information

Robocopy

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/d4c6e8e9-fcb3-4a4a-9d04-2d8c367b63541033.mspx?mfr=true

Applies to

Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008

Monday, February 22, 2010 7:59 AM