none
Where is my "Virtual License Key" for guest operating systems in Server 2012 DC?

Question

• So we bought a Server 2012 DC licence from our reseller.

They delivered the media and It came in the usual sealed Microsoft Envelope, etc. Anyway, we installed the Host using the Key that was included in the pack. Now the time has come to install the guest operating systems and the question is "What product key should i use"

There was only one (the host key) included in the envelope.

MS telephone support say there should have been a "virtual key" supplied with the media.

The Reseller is utterly confused - they know nothing about this and suggested that we need to purchase a key per VM (which i know to be incorrect - 2012 DC is licensed for unlimited guest windows OS's - MS telephone support confirmed this as well)

Can anybody shed some light on this situation? I'm tearing my hair out here!

I'm in WTF territory at the moment. 

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:13 AM

Answers

• DCE grants you the use-right to run lots of WindowsServerOS stuff - but it doesn't grant you the media nor the keys for it.
    The licensing agreement/PUR says that you can use any media/keys which you obtained via legitimate means.
    So if you have access to the MS VLSC website and you have media/keys for WindowsServerOS there, you can use those on your DCE.
    If you don't have them there, you can contact the MS Volume Licensing Desk, explain what you need, and they will apparently give you a one-time key/code. You'll still need the media.

NB: I'm not a certified licensing advisor. you should confirm this with MS Volume Licensing Desk.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:29 AM