none
Cannot See Local Printers in Remote Desktop Connection

Question

• I am using Remote Desktop with a server running Server 2003.  I can see: Microsoft XPS Document Writer (from DELL-PC) in session 1 in my session, but I cannot see my HP Photosmart 2610xi.  I updated the driver for the printer, check that the environment on both the Server User and local RDC had all of the printer boxes enabled.  Do you know why this printer does not show up?  I could see it before when I was running Windows XP on the local machine.  FYI, the local machine is running Windows Vista Home Premium.
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 7:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Have you ever tried to replace another local printer for test? If so, does it work?

Please refer to the following artcile to troubleshoot this issue.

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/08/24/terminal-server-and-printer-redirection.aspx

Hope this helps.

Miles
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 9:06 AM
  • I have noticed several similar threads to this.  After MUCH research and HOURS delving into the Microsoft site, here is the solution.  It seems that when the RD client connects with the server, RD Sends the server a list of printers installed on the client.  The server then installs the drivers for the printers.  If the printer did not ship with Server 2003, you have to install the driver LOCALLY on the server, then it will be available to RD for installation.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:09 PM