none
storage spaces use question

Question

• I am trying to figure out if storage spaces supports raid 10 - i found I can use storage spaces to create 2 stripe sets - stripe 1 and stripe 2 are each made of multiple disks. I can then mirror these 2 stripes in disk administrator.

What is wrong with this scenario? Will assigning a hot spare work?

I have not tested for performance, just trying to understand how the 2 different tools work together and why i have to use both.

Friday, June 22, 2012 2:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

There is a little different.

When we creating RAID01, we have at least 4 disks. RAID0-a is created by Disk1 and Disk2, and RAID0-b is created by Disk3 and Disk4, then we use RAID0-a and RAID0-b to create the RAID01. When any one of the 4 disks is corrupted, as we have another mirrored RAID0, we can get files back.

In Storage Pool, the "stripe1" and "stripe 2" are created by same disks. So if one of the storage spaces is corrupted, files could be recovered. But if one of the disks is corrupted, both stripes are affected actually.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:19 AM
  • I've done some testing on this at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver8gen/thread/79ca6d6d-cab7-4ff3-8c17-ec6ce249e641. I've done it on RAID50 (parity) than RAID10 (mirroring).

Essentially, in 2012 RC there are substantial performance benefits to striping SS parity virtual disks together in Disk Management. This is particularly true since a SS parity virtual disk seems limited to 55-75MB/sec writes, no matter how many underlying physical disks there are.

So you can double (or more) read and write performance by arranging physical disks into two (or more) separate virtual disks in two separate pools, then striping them together n Disk Management.

It doesn't seem like you should have to do this. But it does seem the only way to improve performance, at least in the RC.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:58 PM

All replies

• What you are doing is RAID01 - a Windows mirror of SS stripes. This is not very resilient, as if two disks fail, one from each stripe, you will lose the entire volume.

You should instead use RAID10 - a Windows stripe of SS mirrors. This can withstand the failure of up to half the disks, if each mirror loses a disk.

Neither Windows software RAID nor SS seems to support RAID10. But you can use both in combination to get RAID10.

A hot spare for SS should work too.

• Proposed as answer by David Trounce Friday, June 22, 2012 3:20 AM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 3:19 AM
  • Yes,

I agree with all points - just really showed i could do a 01 Raid - but the real question i have (for either 01/10) is around performance.

Does anyone know if there are implications using storage spaces and disk admin combined? Seems sort of cludgy, and just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should.

Friday, June 22, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

There is a little different.

When we creating RAID01, we have at least 4 disks. RAID0-a is created by Disk1 and Disk2, and RAID0-b is created by Disk3 and Disk4, then we use RAID0-a and RAID0-b to create the RAID01. When any one of the 4 disks is corrupted, as we have another mirrored RAID0, we can get files back.

In Storage Pool, the "stripe1" and "stripe 2" are created by same disks. So if one of the storage spaces is corrupted, files could be recovered. But if one of the disks is corrupted, both stripes are affected actually.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:19 AM
  • I've done some testing on this at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver8gen/thread/79ca6d6d-cab7-4ff3-8c17-ec6ce249e641. I've done it on RAID50 (parity) than RAID10 (mirroring).

Essentially, in 2012 RC there are substantial performance benefits to striping SS parity virtual disks together in Disk Management. This is particularly true since a SS parity virtual disk seems limited to 55-75MB/sec writes, no matter how many underlying physical disks there are.

So you can double (or more) read and write performance by arranging physical disks into two (or more) separate virtual disks in two separate pools, then striping them together n Disk Management.

It doesn't seem like you should have to do this. But it does seem the only way to improve performance, at least in the RC.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 8:58 PM