none
ssh-2 SFTP

Question

• Does anyone have any suggestions with respect to safe 3rd party software I need to add to my Windows 7 system to support "SSH-2 SFTP server".  Do I need to install SSH-2 then SFTP or can I install both at once.

Any help would be appreciatted.

A previous response indicated that Widows 7 does not support SSH-2 SFTP server.

The reason for this question is as follows:

One of our major service providers has begun to offer an option that will decrease the amount of mundane work we do on a monthly basis.

Presently we log on to our service provider web site and down load reports we need to update our access database.We do this one report at a time.

The service provider has offered a new option wherby he will down load the reports directly to our system on a scheduled basis.

The difficulty we are having is this service provider is requiring we have " an SSH-2 SFTP server with industry-standard port 22 or 115".

I can find nowhere at Microsoft where SFTP is supported. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can Implement " SSH-2 SFTP"?

Where do we get software if necessary?  How to install the software?

We would like to set this up if possible on a widows 7 Desktop device.

As you can see we would like to implement our service providers new option but can't find where MS supports.

I hope I am missing something....

Monday, April 08, 2013 6:41 PM

Answers

• I would question whether installing an FTP server on your desktop workstation, and 'opening it up to the Internet', is a good idea.  I would recommend, if possible, you setup a dedicated FTP server in your DMZ.

However, we use GlobalScape EFT Server (on a Windows 2008 R2 server) but there are lots of others out there.  I don't believe (but am happy to be corrected) that the Microsoft FTP Service included in Windows can be configured to support FTP over SSH (SFTP).

Alternatively, could you request that they host the server and you download the files from them?  As the service provider they should have more scope to offer such facilities.  You could use a 3rd party application such as Robo-FTP to schedule the download of the files from their server.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 7:17 AM