none
Windows Media Server Did not Accept HTTP or RTSP streams???

Question

• Hi,

Following are the steps I have done for configuring the Windows media server.

Step 1: Create new Publishing Point

Step 2: Give a Name to Publishing Point:

USMAN CHOHAN
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Step 3: Select Streaming Type as "Encoder (a live stream)"

USMAN CHOHAN
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:20 AM
  • Step 4: Select Broadcast Publishing point.

Step 5: Using VLC Player to restream the rtsp stream to http.

USMAN CHOHAN
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:22 AM
  • Step 6: Streaming Started on VLC Player

Step 7: Open another Instance of VLC Player to test the Streaming, and put http address of vlc streaming in second instance of VLC Player.

USMAN CHOHAN
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:24 AM
  • Step 8: And the Streaming is Working fine:

Step 9: Check the media information, and it is WMV.

USMAN CHOHAN
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:26 AM
  • Step 10: Put the HTTP address of streaming encoder in publishing point wizard:

Step 11: Finish the Wizard and it gives me the following ERROR:

USMAN CHOHAN
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:28 AM
  • Step 12: Publishing Point is created anyway, and when I try to open it from Server Manager it gives me the following error:

Step 13: I try to put the source as a direct rtsp, (which should be supported by Windows Media Services) but it gives me the following Error:

USMAN CHOHAN
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:31 AM
  •  

And Above are the steps I follow to create a publishing point, but Windows Media Services didn't allow me to stream from HTTP and also didn't accept RTSP.

as this is working fine in VLC.

So, If any of you have any Idea to solve this problem, please let me know.

I'll be very Thankful to you.

USMAN CHOHAN
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:33 AM
  • Of course we didn't test this scenario.  Windows Media Services expects to be communicating with an encoder that understands the MS-WMSP protocol that is documented at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc251059(v=PROT.10).aspx and the stream must be in an ASF container.  This is what Windows Media Encoder and Expression Encoder generate but I suspect that VLC does not.

More than likely VLC creates an HTTP stream that effectively is a download of the video frames.  WMS needs to be able to interact with the encoder which the MS-WMSP allows.

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Randomnumber,

Since my question is basically in line with this discussion, I will append it here. If you feel it warrants a seperate one, please let me know. I am using Axis 1011-W IP network cameras to produce the stream. It is not HTTP, but it does support RTSP and Multicast. I would rather not use multicast as we need to suport hundreds of cameras, but I do not want to have all transmitting a stream at the same time, but only when requested. I would use the media service to pull a single stream from the camera and serve it up to multiple clients using RTSP as well. I also have a recording requirement, that is probably out of the scope of this discussion. Is there a way to get the RTSP feed into media services? Maybe using an encoder of some sort. The only encode I saw was the Expression encoder, but that seem to only support video capture devices on the machine Expression is runing. Any ideas? The cameras do support HTTP, but i get the same error as Usman above.

Thanks,

Keith

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:41 AM
  • It's essentially the same answer.  Using RTSP or HTTP as a delivery mechanism is part of it, yes, but Windows Media Services requires an ASF stream over the protocol.  Expression Encoder cannot use an IP camera as a source unfortunately.  Supporting IP cameras is something we're looking at supporting in some way in the future.
    • Proposed as answer by NetEng1 Monday, March 12, 2012 3:33 PM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:50 PM