none
Remote Desktop cannot verify the identity of the remote computer...

Question

• Hello!

I get the following message whenever I try  to log on to my Small Business Server 2008. (from my Windows 7 PC)

My date & time settings are the same as the server's. I also tried logging on from a different computer than mine (more specifically another server(also SBS 2008) in the domain) with the result being the same. 

I've tried googling this for a couple of hours without finding anything that could fix our issue.

Any ideas?

Friday, September 30, 2011 7:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. Please verify that the date, time, and time zone are set correctly on the servers (not just this one but others in the domain that may be providing services) and the workstations.

2. Please check the server's logs for warnings/errors.  There may be some sort of configuration or other problem preventing Kerberos authentication of the server.

3. Please check that the RDP-Tcp listener has a valid ssl certificate assigned to it, with the correct server name in the subject preferrably from a trusted public authority such as GoDaddy, GeoTrust, Thawte, Globalsign, etc.  You may check the certificate by opening Terminal Services Configuration (tsconfig.msc) and double-clicking on RDP-Tcp.

4. If you are unable to resolve the issue with the above suggestions you may want to switch the Security Layer to RDP Security Layer while you are investigating the issue.  This is done in tsconfig.msc, double-click RDP-Tcp, set Security layer to RDP Security Layer.  After making this change please attempt to connect to the server using Remote Desktop Client.

Thanks.

-TP

Saturday, October 01, 2011 3:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Please verify that the date, time, and time zone are set correctly on the servers (not just this one but others in the domain that may be providing services) and the workstations.

2. Please check the server's logs for warnings/errors.  There may be some sort of configuration or other problem preventing Kerberos authentication of the server.

3. Please check that the RDP-Tcp listener has a valid ssl certificate assigned to it, with the correct server name in the subject preferrably from a trusted public authority such as GoDaddy, GeoTrust, Thawte, Globalsign, etc.  You may check the certificate by opening Terminal Services Configuration (tsconfig.msc) and double-clicking on RDP-Tcp.

4. If you are unable to resolve the issue with the above suggestions you may want to switch the Security Layer to RDP Security Layer while you are investigating the issue.  This is done in tsconfig.msc, double-click RDP-Tcp, set Security layer to RDP Security Layer.  After making this change please attempt to connect to the server using Remote Desktop Client.

Thanks.

-TP

Saturday, October 01, 2011 3:31 AM
  • Thanks TP

Step 1. fixed my problem by itself.

It turns out that the battery on my mainboard was dead causing the date and time to be set back to 2002 each time the server restarted.

I haven't ran into a dead battery in years and years because I think that I usually get new equipment before the battery wears out.

Thanks again.

Mike

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:52 PM