none
How to prevent users not to create folders/file path exceeding 260 Chars

Question

• Is there a registry edit/ group policy or any setting in Windows 2008 R2 to prevent users not to create folders/file path exceeding 260 Chars. Any third party tool is also welcome which give warning or scan the file system for long file names.

Thank You

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:32 AM

All replies

• My reply is missing...

Whatever, actually by default we cannot create file/folder exceeding 255 chars.

Some programs (generally third party programs) can create long file path. They do not access the whole path from root so they will able to create a folder under a deep path. Sometimes this will occur in a share which can be accessed by different operation system such as Linux.

So we may not have a method to restrict it as it is not designed to work like this.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 7:43 AM
  • This is impossible and the only thing that can prevent users from doing this is the OS.

What i have not tried is creating a root folder say 200 chars long, then giving users access to a folder within that. In theory i would imagine they are then allowed only 60 chars left, any more and the base OS will error.

• Proposed as answer by [- Alex -] Tuesday, December 04, 2012 5:57 PM
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 5:57 PM