none
Server 2012 with Remote Apps installing on Windows XP machines

Question

• Hi everyone, I have a new Server 2012 that I installed the RDS services on.

How do I push out the Remote Apps to my Windows XP clients?

In the past I could use MSI files, but I read that Windows 2012 does not support MSI files now to push out remote apps.

I also read that I could use a GPO but that only works with Win 7/Win 8 machines?

On my SBS 2011 server if I go to GPO, I am missing the GPO entry for Win 7 and Win 8 to push remote apps.

User Config > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services -- I dont have the RemoteApp and Remote Desktop services entry here.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 7:57 PM

All replies

• As was the case with Server 2008 R2, the best way to deploy RemoteApps to Windows XP clients is to use RDWeb.  You should also make sure that the XP clients have RDC 7.0 installed and CredSSP is enabled.  Windows XP does not have any other way to connect to the RDWeb feed like Vista and Windows 7. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951608

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 8:37 PM
  • Is there a way to automate this or do I have to go to RDWeb on every Windows XP machine?

Thursday, January 03, 2013 7:43 PM
  • What exactly are you looking to automate?

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Friday, January 04, 2013 12:35 AM
  • I'd like to be able to push out remote apps to all my xp machines.

So they will have a remote app icon on their desktop, and the file type associated to that remote app.

Example, Word 2013 icon on their desktop, and when they double click a Word icon, it will launch Word 2013 as a remote app on the server.

From what I am reading this can no longer be done with Windows XP machines with Remote Apps on Server 2012?

Friday, January 04, 2013 8:17 PM