none
Hypervisor Issues with AMD CPUs

Question

•  

The series of issues with the Hyper-V hypervisor and its disdain for AMD CPUs is really starting to try my patience. I rebuilt my Windows Server 2003/Virtual Server 2005 R2 lab environment to Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V.  Hyper-V failed to start.

Researched the issue.  My processor was an AMD dual core F2 stepped processor.  Ordered an F3 processor.

Recieved, installed processor.  At this point i have a windows server 2008 64-bit RTM installation with Hyper-V beta installed.  The same errors are occuring indicating that Hyper-V fails to start and that it cannot find SVM functionality.

Virtualization is specifically enabled in the BIOS.  XD shows as availible in cpuz and CrystalCPUID however I cannot locate a BIOS option to specifically enable it on the server.

This is a VERY annoying issue because besides its direct effect on what I want to do, we will probably run into this in a number of lab environments, particularly with SMB customers.  To make things a little more fun, right now you cant exactly install and run VMWare Server 1.x either because VMWare does not yet code-sign thier kernel modules and 64-bit 2008 will not let you load unsigned modules in kernel mode.

Exact hyper-V error message:

Error ID 51: Hyper-V launch failed; virtualization not supported or enabled on processor 0x0 (check BIOS settings).

Error ID 42: Hyper-V launch failed; Either SVM not present or not enabled in BIOS

Hardware:

AMD Athlon X2 6400+ (F3 stepping with AMD-V and XD support)

Abit KN9 Ultra Motherboard

4GB A-Data DDR2 667

Software:

Windows Server 2008 RTM (MSDN)

Hyper-V Beta (Cant install RC0 on the host unless the hypervisor is running)

Friday, March 28, 2008 3:49 PM

Answers

• F2 CPU's have a hardware problem and require BIOS support to workaround the issue...  This is fixed in F3 CPU's.

Monday, April 28, 2008 1:03 AM

All replies