none
added disks post-install now can't boot without F10

Question

• Config is a WHS2011 (WS2008R2 derivative) on Intel UEFI-capable desktop board. I had a working configuration for a long time but for reasons beyond the discussion here, ended up re-installing it. Since WHS doesn't allow selecting where the OS installs, first I removed the two RAID disks, expecting to be able to add them in later.

I installed it as a one disk system and it booted fine. When I added back in the two disks as Intel RAID, they are apparently now recognized as the first two disks and are where the EFI stuff wants to boot to and that fails and falls through to the network boot agent. If I F10 and select the EFI hard disk option, it boots fine. If I F10 and select Windows Boot Manager it also fails. My thinking is that somehow the NVRAM and EFI data are not consistent with the "new" collection of disks, but don't really know the EFI boot process well enough to prove it and find the specific problem.

I've read up on bcdedit and it looks like all of that mucks about in the relevant area, but I'm hesitant to go in and just hack since I don't want to brick the machine for the second time in a week.

Any suggestions where to begin on this would be greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 9:43 PM

All replies

• I'd ask them about WHS 2011 over here.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/threads

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:13 AM
  • I almost didn't mention WHS since this problem is pretty much a WS2008R2 boot design issue; other than not allowing the initial install to occur on an arbitrary storage device, there is nothing unique to WHS here. I figured people who frequent this forum might spend more time mucking in areas like the BCD.

From a WHS2011 BCD:

Windows Boot Loader
    -------------------
    identifier              {current}
    device                  partition=C:
    path                    \Windows\system32\winload.efi
    description             Windows Server 2008 R2

• Edited by Dick Watson Thursday, January 03, 2013 1:04 PM added BCD WS2008R2 identification
    Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:19 AM