none
Previous Versions tab missing

Question

• We have a member server that has had Shadow Copy configured on several drives and we have used the UNC from that server to restore previously. We have recently added these shares to a DFS and now the Previous Versions tab is gone.

I have read the following MS KB http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/887189 and we did enable Shadow Copy on the DC where the DFS root is but no luck. Is there a certain time that must pass before this takes affect?
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 3:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Stunpals,

You may need to enable shadow copies on the volumes on all the DFS root to let previous versions show up the shadow copies replica.

Thanks and Regards,
    Scorprio 
    MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, August 31, 2009 10:45 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 11:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Stunpals,

Did you have a chance to verify that Shadow copies is enabled on the volumes that holds the DFS root of all the DFS root servers?

Did you try to access the DFS root share from a Windows XP client or Windows Vista client?

To test it, please access the the DFS root via \\domainname\DFSroot to check if you can see the Previous Version Tab on one of the shared folders under the DFS root.

Thanks and Regards,
    Scorprio

MCTS: Windows Vista | Exchange Server 2007 MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician | Server & Enterprise Admin
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Tuesday, August 25, 2009 7:22 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stunpals Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:09 AM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:20 AM
  • We have 3 DC does this mean all 3 DC need to have Shadow Copy setup on them. And to clarify when it says "enabled on the volumes that holds the DFS root of all the DFS root servers" is this the C:\ drive?

All our clients have the previous versions tab disabled as we do not want anyone besides IT Staff to restore files. We have always done it from the server console via UNC.

I"ll try your suggestions once I clarify the above otherwise I maybe missing something.

If I UNC to one of the DCs directly where the DFS was setup with \\ServerName \DFSRoot\share instead of the \\DomainName \DFSRoot\share that has Shadow Copy enabled on its C:\ drive would this not work as well?

Stunpals - Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:13 AM
  • I just clarified with the guy who setup the DFS and the root is on the D:\ drive. We do not want Shadow Copy on this volume so we'll move it to the C:\ drive and where we can enable Shadow Copy.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:59 PM
  • After more testing we have found that if we use the UNC \\ServerName\DriveLetter$\Path that the Previous Versions does appear. If we go straight to the \\ServerName\ShareName the tab is not there. This server has 3 volumes and only 1 is affected like this, the other to work with \ServerName\ShareName but they were not added to the DFSRoot.

We are moving the DFS root today to the C:\ drive and will test to see if the tab will also appear with the DFS path.

Thanks for the help on this.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:48 PM
  • Hi Stunpals,

You may need to enable shadow copies on the volumes on all the DFS root to let previous versions show up the shadow copies replica.

Thanks and Regards,
    Scorprio 
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, August 31, 2009 10:45 AM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 11:04 AM