none
MMC Problem: Could not create the Snap-In

Question

• I have a Windows Server 2008 Standard system configured as a terminal server.  The installation is several months old and it has taken me forever to get all of the apps installed and working.  Now all of a sudden when starting Server Manager (as well as various other Admin tools) I get this error in the MMC window:
    MMC Could not create the snap-in.  The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.
    Name:  Server Manager
    CLSID:  FX:  18ea3f92-d6aa-41d9-a205-2023400c8fbb

I have uninstalled .Net Framework and re-installed .Net 3.5 from some of the suggestions I've seen around... but no dice.   I really do not want to re-install the entire OS for this problem.
    Friday, January 02, 2009 4:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue may be caused by corrupt files or conflicts of software. You may need to collect and analyze application dump file to solve this issue. If you need to solve this issue timely, please contact CSS to analyze dump files. For your reference:
    http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

You can also try the following general troubleshooting suggestions to narrow down the root cause.

Please try Sainath’s suggestions to test in Clean Boot and Safe Mode with Network.

If the issue continues, let’s check system files. Click Start, type "sfc /scannow", press Enter.

Could SFC find any corrupt file? If not and the issue persists, let’s try to Start Server Manager manually.

Click Start, type "c:\Windows\system32\servermanager.msc", press Enter. What’s the result? If there is no error, please click Start, type "MMC", press Enter. If still no error, click File menu of MMC, choose Add/Remove Snap-in. Try to add snap-in. Is there any error?

If there is error when trying "c:\Windows\system32\servermanager.msc", please copy a servermanager.msc from a working computer to this problem computer to replace it.

Restart the server and test again. Is there progress? If not, please run the MPS report (PFE version) on the server for the analyzing. The MPS Reporting Tool is utilized to gather detailed information regarding a systems current configuration. The data collected will assist you with fault isolation.

A . Please download MPS Reporting Tool (MPSRPT_PFE.EXE) from the following link:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00ad0eac-720f-4441-9ef6-ea9f657b5c2f&DisplayLang=en)

Please note: The link may be truncated when you read the E-mail. Be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when navigating to the download location.

B . Right click MPSRPT_PFE.EXE and select Run as Administrator to run this tool, and you will see a Command Window start up.

C . Please type Y with the message of <Include the MSINFO32 report? (defaults to Y in 15 seconds)[Y,N]?

D . When the tool is done you will see an Explorer Window opening up the %systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\cab folder and containing a <Computername>MPSReports.cab file. Send this file to tfwst@microsoft.com for research.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by atomize22 Monday, January 05, 2009 6:58 PM
    Monday, January 05, 2009 7:58 AM
  • Thanks for your help.  I seem to have found the problem.  Apparently an installed application altered the mmc.exe.config file to force MMC to start utilizing .Net 1.1.  I renamed the mmc.exe.config file and everything is working properly.
    • Marked as answer by atomize22 Monday, January 05, 2009 2:26 PM
    Monday, January 05, 2009 2:26 PM

All replies

• hi there,

OS as a whole doesnt become sluggish unless you install 3rd party applications which intrudes and messes up any Operating system.

Initially when you install the OS , you would have installed appropriate service packs , and with that configuration ( without any 3rd party app) you can never have a problem, if so many customers world wide would have reported by now

so i would suggest, to run msconfig , disable all 3rd party applications and check the behavior.

2nd option would be safe mode with networking will be better option where no 3rd party services will run
    sainath Windows Driver Development
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 4:53 AM
  • Hi,

This issue may be caused by corrupt files or conflicts of software. You may need to collect and analyze application dump file to solve this issue. If you need to solve this issue timely, please contact CSS to analyze dump files. For your reference:
    http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

You can also try the following general troubleshooting suggestions to narrow down the root cause.

Please try Sainath’s suggestions to test in Clean Boot and Safe Mode with Network.

If the issue continues, let’s check system files. Click Start, type "sfc /scannow", press Enter.

Could SFC find any corrupt file? If not and the issue persists, let’s try to Start Server Manager manually.

Click Start, type "c:\Windows\system32\servermanager.msc", press Enter. What’s the result? If there is no error, please click Start, type "MMC", press Enter. If still no error, click File menu of MMC, choose Add/Remove Snap-in. Try to add snap-in. Is there any error?

If there is error when trying "c:\Windows\system32\servermanager.msc", please copy a servermanager.msc from a working computer to this problem computer to replace it.

Restart the server and test again. Is there progress? If not, please run the MPS report (PFE version) on the server for the analyzing. The MPS Reporting Tool is utilized to gather detailed information regarding a systems current configuration. The data collected will assist you with fault isolation.

A . Please download MPS Reporting Tool (MPSRPT_PFE.EXE) from the following link:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00ad0eac-720f-4441-9ef6-ea9f657b5c2f&DisplayLang=en)

Please note: The link may be truncated when you read the E-mail. Be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when navigating to the download location.

B . Right click MPSRPT_PFE.EXE and select Run as Administrator to run this tool, and you will see a Command Window start up.

C . Please type Y with the message of <Include the MSINFO32 report? (defaults to Y in 15 seconds)[Y,N]?

D . When the tool is done you will see an Explorer Window opening up the %systemroot%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\cab folder and containing a <Computername>MPSReports.cab file. Send this file to tfwst@microsoft.com for research.

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by atomize22 Monday, January 05, 2009 6:58 PM
    Monday, January 05, 2009 7:58 AM
  • Thanks for your help.  I seem to have found the problem.  Apparently an installed application altered the mmc.exe.config file to force MMC to start utilizing .Net 1.1.  I renamed the mmc.exe.config file and everything is working properly.
    • Marked as answer by atomize22 Monday, January 05, 2009 2:26 PM
    Monday, January 05, 2009 2:26 PM
  • hi there,

glad to hear it resolved the problem, can you mark my above post as answer :)
    sainath Windows Driver Development
    Monday, January 05, 2009 5:32 PM
  • I appreciate your reply, but your post had nothing to do with my question.  I was not trying to troubleshoot a slow system, I was trying to resolve an issue of not being able to launch MMC consoles.
    • Proposed as answer by LCCCORP Monday, August 04, 2014 10:02 PM
    Monday, January 05, 2009 6:57 PM
  • Sorry about the bump, but this link fixed it for me:

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX108104

I just changed the version number to v2.0.50727 on both lines of the xml-code in the file c:\windows\system32\mmc.exe.config :

<?xml version ="1.0"?>
    <configuration>
        <startup>
          <requiredRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>
          <supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>
        </startup>
    </configuration>

Surely the snapins had to have a certain version.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:19 PM
  • I had the same problem, there was a version mismatch in the config file caused by the .Net 4.0 installation.
    I just deleted the mmc.exe.config file (it was not on other comparible machines) and all consoles now open.

Out of interest the following MMC snapins were affected:

SCCM
    Event Viewer

The following snapins were NOT affected:

WSUS
    MDT Workbench.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:16 PM