none
DFS servers no longer replicating

Question

• For some reason my two file servers, both running Windows Storage Server 2008 Standard SP2, have stopped replicating the folders I have setup in single DFS name space. This has been working fine for more than a year and just suddenly stopped. When I try to check on the backlog of the replication with the following command:

dfsrdiag backlog /rgname:eeak.local\private\me-projects /rfname:me-Projects /sendingmember:eei-me-fs001.eeak.local /receivingmember:eei-ak-fs001.eeak.local

I get the following error:

[ERROR] Failed to execute GetOutboundBacklogFileCount method. Err: -2147217406 (0x80041002)

Googling this error does not provide much assistance. I have tried restarting the DFS replication service on each server and rebooting each server, all with negative results.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:51 PM

Answers

• Please try to run the following from a command prompt to re-registering the WBEM DLLs and the MOF files:

cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
    for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s
    for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof *.mfl') do mofcomp %s

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is an indictor of WMI issues. Try fixing it with:

1. Logon as an administrator and open an (elevated, if 2008/R2) CMD prompt.

2. CD to %systemroot%\system32\wbem

3. Run:

MOFCOMP.EXE dfsrprov.mof

(and if it exists)

MOFCOMP.EXE dfsrprov.mfl

4. Restart the DFSR service (heck, restart the server if you can).

5. See if it works now.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for replying to my post so quickly.

This is the result of running the command you specified:

C:\Windows\System32\wbem>MOFCOMP.EXE dfsrprov.mof
    Microsoft (R) MOF Compiler Version 6.0.6000.16386
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2006. All rights reserved.
    File 'dfsrprov.mof' not found!

Any other ideas? I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Update:

OK, I found a file named dfsrprovs.mof in the wbem directory and ran the MOFCOMP.exe file on it.

Here are the results. Still no joy after restarting DFSR:

C:\Windows\System32\wbem>MOFCOMP.EXE dfsrprovs.mof
    Parsing MOF file: dfsrprovs.mof
    MOF file has been successfully parsed
    Storing data in the repository...
    Done!

C:\Windows\System32\wbem>MOFCOMP.EXE dfsrprovs.mfl
    File 'dfsrprovs.mfl' not found!

C:\Windows\System32\wbem>MOFCOMP.EXE dfsrprov.mfl
    File 'dfsrprov.mfl' not found!

Thursday, July 28, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Hi,

What is the error you are getting now when running dfsrdiag backlog?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
    Friday, July 29, 2011 12:57 AM
  • The exact same error as before:

[ERROR] Failed to execute GetOutboundBacklogFileCount method. Err: -2147217406 (0x80041002)

Friday, July 29, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Hi,

Please verify that "Authenticated Users" is set with the default READ permission on:

- The computer object in AD
    - The DFSR-LocalSettings object under the computer
    - The msdfsr-subscriber object under the localsettings object
    - The msdfsr-subscription object under the subscriber object

(and that there are no denies set for groups that the servers could be a member of).

Once permissions are correct, use DFSRDIAG POLLAD to pick up the changes.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, August 01, 2011 9:17 AM
  • Hi Shaon,

I was able to verify that Authenticated Users is set for Read permissions on the computer object in AD, But I do not know where to find the other settings. Can you please provude assistance in locating these objects?  Thank you.

Monday, August 01, 2011 5:34 PM
  • OK, I used ADSI Edit to locate the above mentioned objects and verifie that the Authenticated Users group has read permissions for each of them. My DFS has been working for more than a year and just suddenly stopped. If this was a permissions issue, I'd think it would never have worked.

What's next?

Monday, August 01, 2011 11:28 PM
  • Please try to run the following from a command prompt to re-registering the WBEM DLLs and the MOF files:

cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
    for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s
    for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof *.mfl') do mofcomp %s

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Shaon,

Thank you for your continued assistance. This became enough of a critical issue that I had to open a support case with Microsoft. During troubleshooting the following was discovered:

1. More than 100 files on my local file server had the "temp" attribute set. Excellent article on how to fix that here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2008/11/11/dfsr-does-not-replicate-temporary-files.aspx

2. My remote file server had a bad disk (how in the world did I miss that?). It was replaced this morning and is rebuilding itself as I type.

Hopefully this will resolve my issue.

Friday, August 05, 2011 4:22 PM
  • We were having this issue.  The cause was that DFS replication has automatically been suspended due to a dirty shutdown of the server (which had been forced down due to another symptom unrelated to DFS).  We restarted replication using this command:

wmic /namespace:\\root\microsoftdfs path dfsrVolumeConfig where volumeGuid="<volume-GUID>" call ResumeReplication

Here's an article regarding this behavior:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2012/07/23/understanding-dfsr-dirty-unexpected-shutdown-recovery.aspx

Saturday, May 18, 2013 5:59 PM