none
Problems with 2 networks (metric) and DHCP

Question

• Hi,

I'm having the following problem:

I have wired network, which works with a DHCP on a Windows 2003 giving IPs to the Workstations.
    I also have a wireless router,  which also distributes addresses that is isolated from the local network.

I have lots of users that come with the wireless on and this gives them problem to access some resources from the network. This is caused because the metric of the two cards is the same and this makes the work only through the wireless network.

I want to know if it is possible to change the metrics of the Windows 2003 DHCP, so that it has a lower metric that the wireless network.

I found a procedure to do it machine by machine, but they are too many so I need a global and definite solution. Long story short, the manual metric is configured in the LAN card and this ends the problem.

Greetings and hope you can help me.

Juan.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:51 PM

Answers

• Your question is slightly unclear to me, but based on your explanation I think it is either one of these two things you are trying to achieve:

If you want to change settings on your Windows 2003 DHCP you can use this technical reference :

DHCP Technical Reference

If you are trying to change the Network Adapter binding order (metric) then follow this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894564

This article contains a script so you do not have to execute the steps manually on each computer.

• Marked as answer by Tiger Li Wednesday, March 07, 2012 2:19 AM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 8:50 PM
  • I also have a wireless router,  which also distributes addresses that is isolated from the local network.

You tell that your wi-fi is isolated from the lan, in a different VLAN ?

In different VLAN, if by example LAN ip = 192.168.1.101 and WIFI ip = 172.1.1.100 on a laptop, if the laptop need to talk to 192.168.1.1 it will try first by 192.168.1.101 i think to not travel by the GW, even if you have allow route between your wifi<->routed lan. (you will have to make your DHCP answer on LAN, and the router answer on WLAN for the DHCP)

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

Friday, March 02, 2012 1:14 AM
  •  

Hi Juan,

Thanks for posting here.

Just FYI,may I know if we still need users to access that wireless network to connect by going through wireless network when wire connected ?  If no, the best way to avoid this situation and make system always choice to use wired NIC instead wireless NIC when get cable to connects to our network is disabling the wireless one .

We have an blog post that discussed this scenario and hope that will help :

A word on disabling a wireless connection when also connected to a physical network

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2011/12/22/a-word-on-disabling-a-wireless-connection-when-also-connected-to-a-physical-network.aspx

Script in the links below should also help , we can issue it to clients via group policy if we already have a domain system and made clients as member hosts:

Disable wireless connection when LAN is connected

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Disable-wireless-f3bcf66f

Regards,

Tiger Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 02, 2012 6:09 AM

All replies

• Your question is slightly unclear to me, but based on your explanation I think it is either one of these two things you are trying to achieve:

If you want to change settings on your Windows 2003 DHCP you can use this technical reference :

DHCP Technical Reference

If you are trying to change the Network Adapter binding order (metric) then follow this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894564

This article contains a script so you do not have to execute the steps manually on each computer.

Thursday, March 01, 2012 8:50 PM
  • OK, but the script applied to Windows 7?

BR,

Juan.

Friday, March 02, 2012 12:40 AM
  • I also have a wireless router,  which also distributes addresses that is isolated from the local network.

You tell that your wi-fi is isolated from the lan, in a different VLAN ?

In different VLAN, if by example LAN ip = 192.168.1.101 and WIFI ip = 172.1.1.100 on a laptop, if the laptop need to talk to 192.168.1.1 it will try first by 192.168.1.101 i think to not travel by the GW, even if you have allow route between your wifi<->routed lan. (you will have to make your DHCP answer on LAN, and the router answer on WLAN for the DHCP)

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

Friday, March 02, 2012 1:14 AM
  •  

Hi Juan,

Thanks for posting here.

Just FYI,may I know if we still need users to access that wireless network to connect by going through wireless network when wire connected ?  If no, the best way to avoid this situation and make system always choice to use wired NIC instead wireless NIC when get cable to connects to our network is disabling the wireless one .

We have an blog post that discussed this scenario and hope that will help :

A word on disabling a wireless connection when also connected to a physical network

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2011/12/22/a-word-on-disabling-a-wireless-connection-when-also-connected-to-a-physical-network.aspx

Script in the links below should also help , we can issue it to clients via group policy if we already have a domain system and made clients as member hosts:

Disable wireless connection when LAN is connected

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Disable-wireless-f3bcf66f

Regards,

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

Friday, March 02, 2012 6:09 AM
  • Hi Juan,

Please feel free to let us know if the information was helpful to you.

Regards,

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

Monday, March 05, 2012 2:42 AM
  • OK, but the script applied to Windows 7?

BR,

Juan.

Not sure Juan, the easiest way to find out is by running the script on a test machine and find out if it behaves correctly. Did you manage to try out the script yet?
    Monday, March 05, 2012 6:35 AM
  • We need to somehow do the changes in the DHCP, is this posible?

Thank in advance!

Juan.

Monday, March 05, 2012 11:19 AM
  • Hi Juan,

You cannot do this through DHCP. The most you can do as far as gateway configuration goes is to specify the gateway address. That's where DHCP configuration ends.

Cheers,
    Lain

Monday, March 05, 2012 12:16 PM
  • I know this is an old one, but it has come up in our environment and there is in fact a solution with DHCP for you per this article: How to bring harmony to your mixed wired and wireless networks

Quote: (Method 1)

This step assumes Windows 2003/2008 is your DHCP server for your Wireless network. Raising the wireless gateway metric to a value greater than your LAN metric will force traffic to use the lower metric.

a) Right click Scope Options on your wireless scope and choose "Configure Options".
    b) Click "Advanced" tab.
    c) For Vendor Class, choose "Microsoft Windows 2000 Options"
    d) Put a check in "003 Microsoft Default Router Metric Base"
    e) Set a value fit for your situation. I use 0x1f4 which gives it a metric of 525, which is higher than all other network metrics we use.

You can repeat the above steps for all your WIRED scopes, giving them a value of 0 for the metric. This is the BASE VALUE of 10. This is only needed IF your base value is greater than 10 (you can see the value by running "route print" from the command line).

For more information, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782411%28WS.10%29.aspx, do a search on page for "default router metric base".

1992f25a85c3aef32c5de1484995357f8ecc1c6be060690e03ef588e4e3cc85c_capture_big

/quote

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood your scenario and that your DHCP scope for the wireless is on the access point. If you could change it there, or make the AP talk to the DHCP server it would work as it did for me.

• Proposed as answer by mjf2112 Saturday, October 12, 2013 9:27 PM
    • Edited by mjf2112 Saturday, October 12, 2013 9:29 PM edit
    Saturday, October 12, 2013 9:26 PM