none
Can't Delete Windows.old

Question

• We have an old file server that hadn't been used in almost 2 years. I wanted to use it as a testing server for backups. I formatted the drive and installed Server 2008 on it but I still see a Windows.old folder, which is around 80GB. When I try to delete it, I get errors saying that files are in use, which can't be the case. The only thing in the Windows.old folder are our users My Documents. Is there another way that I can get rid of the folder to free up that space? I've also tried using Disk Cleanup but it's not listed in there.
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 7:24 PM

Answers

• Take ownership of Windows.old folder, grant full access to your user account in NTFS security permissions, once done, try deleting the folder.

Also, have a look at following discussion

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/a88eca16-2cc6-421c-94fc-f444b9efa889

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

• Marked as answer by pantherguy Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:21 PM
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 7:53 PM

All replies

• Take ownership of Windows.old folder, grant full access to your user account in NTFS security permissions, once done, try deleting the folder.

Also, have a look at following discussion

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/a88eca16-2cc6-421c-94fc-f444b9efa889

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

• Marked as answer by pantherguy Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:21 PM
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 7:53 PM
  • Thanks. I was able to delete it after taking ownership.
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:21 PM
  • Thanks. I was able to delete it after taking ownership.
    You are welcome.

Regards, Santosh

Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:36 PM