none
Reinstall of Server 2008 r2

Question

• I was recently hit with a trojan file which attached itself to several files in the OS and other related files.

I realize no repair function is available on a Server installation. What is the best way to restart a fresh install. What about reregistering the product with MicroSoft. The original Serial Number DID NOT register and a new one had to be provided. I do have both the new serial number and Product ID.

What other things must I look at the ensure that my web server is not down longer than needed.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:46 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You can still repair the machines from the installation disk if needed:
    1. Insert the Windows Server 2008 R2 disc and then start the computer. 
    2. press a key during "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …"
    3. choose language, time, currency, keyboard or another method and then press Next.
    4. press repair your computer

Also see the new way instead the old recovery console:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770593(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_Windows_Recovery_Environment_overview

there is no problem to reinstall the software on the same machine as before. As long as you have the license key just call Microsoft support to register it again. Sometimes the automatic way doesn't work after reinstallation but the support call for license registration is for free.
    Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Friday, March 12, 2010 8:57 AM
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:58 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can still repair the machines from the installation disk if needed:
    1. Insert the Windows Server 2008 R2 disc and then start the computer. 
    2. press a key during "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …"
    3. choose language, time, currency, keyboard or another method and then press Next.
    4. press repair your computer

Also see the new way instead the old recovery console:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770593(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_Windows_Recovery_Environment_overview

there is no problem to reinstall the software on the same machine as before. As long as you have the license key just call Microsoft support to register it again. Sometimes the automatic way doesn't work after reinstallation but the support call for license registration is for free.
    Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Friday, March 12, 2010 8:57 AM
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:58 PM
  • What are the options when you select repair?

System Image

Memory Diagnostic

Command line

I beleive the question about re-installing is referring to installing on top of the existing system, not installing a new system.  Repair does not give you this option. 

If what you say is true, to answer the question, how would you go about doing a repair install?

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:39 PM
  • I would be sure to format the disk, if you don't believe you can get the virus removed.

--
    Paul Bergson
    MVP - Directory Services
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
    2008, Vista, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
    Microsoft's Thrive IT Pro of the Month - June 2009
    http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
    posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 16, 2010 12:38 PM
  • I recently had a power outage and when the power came back up my server kept crashing due to a memory error.  I restarted, checked the memory, the extended 5 loops test, which took over a day to complete, but when I restarted I had the same error.  I then restarted in safe mode and went into msconfig and disabled all startups.  I also went to services and checked hide all MS services and then disabled all services that weren't microsoft.  When I restarted, I come up to a black screen with a movable cursor and it goes no further.

I restarted and tried repair, but I don't have a system/backup image to restore from.  I was able to do a disk check and it found bad files on the drive, probably corrupt due to being opened or being written to when the server was powered off.  I tried to do a SFC /scannow but since I am in the WIM environment it marks it as system being repaired and prevents me from checking the files on the host OS.  I tried to go back into msconfig but it gives me an error that it can't be started because of permission issues, since the WIM environment runs under a service account.  I tried to do a runas with administrator but then msconfig errors out saying that the service isn't installed for it to run.

I inserted the 2008 R2 x64 media into the server and went through the installation screen to the point where it says to install to the system, but am afraid of erasing the OS that is on that host.  I want to do a repair install, like you do with 2003 and XP, when it detects the installation on the media and allows you to repair it, but don't want to proceed any further in case there is no such option and I incidently end up erasing the OS on that host.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Frapster

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 4:10 PM