Windows 7 Theme (Aero) - Disabled / Remote Desktop Connection

Question

• Greetings All,

I have turned on the Themes service but now when I go to the Themes area to select one I have the following message which I can not figgure out

"One or more of the themes has been disabled by Remote Desktop Connection settings."

I have dug through all the Remote Desktop settings that I can find and I do not see any setting that should be restricting Theme selection.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mia

Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:33 PM

Answers

• Hi there, 

Are you accessing the Windows Server 2008 R2 machine through remote desktop?

When accessing Windows Server 2008 R2 through remote desktop several of the themes are inaccessible. It will only work when you are connected directly to the machine

i tested this with rdp both running Windows Server 2008 R2 beta, and received the same error you did.

Action plan

can you try adding the Remote Desktop Services role and test?

sainath Windows Driver Development
    • Marked as answer by Elisa Willman Wednesday, March 04, 2009 12:30 AM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi there, 

Are you accessing the Windows Server 2008 R2 machine through remote desktop?

When accessing Windows Server 2008 R2 through remote desktop several of the themes are inaccessible. It will only work when you are connected directly to the machine

i tested this with rdp both running Windows Server 2008 R2 beta, and received the same error you did.

Action plan

can you try adding the Remote Desktop Services role and test?

sainath Windows Driver Development
    • Marked as answer by Elisa Willman Wednesday, March 04, 2009 12:30 AM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:37 AM
  • Hi all.

I have the same problem. I've also added the Remote Desktop services role and I still have the same issue. I've also tried upgrading my Nvidia drivers (as I had the x64 Vista ones) to the beta Windows 7 x64 drivers, makes no difference.

I also found this page which reports similar issues for other people. Any further ideas would be apperciated!

Cheers.

Edit: I found that after rebooting again the issue has been resolved. Whether or not the services role requires 2 reboots, or whether updating Windows did it I'm not entirely sure. Either way it's all good now.
    Monday, March 09, 2009 7:30 AM