none
Windows 2008R2 Printercluster disable driver signing

Question

• Hello,

having an 2008R2 printer cluster is very very frustrating especially when installing printer driver. Is there a way to install a print driver without having the printerdriver signed. I can install this driver on the Windows 2008R2 Server without any problem but on the cluster (same physical server, but virt IP) it doesnt't work.Can anybody help me on that?

Appreciate the help

Thomas

Friday, February 24, 2012 11:56 AM

Answers

• If the driver is not signed you will always need to install in one of the nodes before add the driver to the cluster.

Normal driver installation methods, such as INF-based installation or installation via a setup application, automatically copy the driver package into the driver store.  Driver package integrity and signing are checked when the driver package is added to the driver store.  An administrator can also add a driver package to the driver store manually, without installing the driver, by using the Pnputil.exe utility.  This utility ships with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

So you can try this:

pnputil.exe -a <PathToDriver>/*.inf

Marc

Friday, February 24, 2012 5:34 PM

All replies

• If the driver is not signed you will always need to install in one of the nodes before add the driver to the cluster.

Normal driver installation methods, such as INF-based installation or installation via a setup application, automatically copy the driver package into the driver store.  Driver package integrity and signing are checked when the driver package is added to the driver store.  An administrator can also add a driver package to the driver store manually, without installing the driver, by using the Pnputil.exe utility.  This utility ships with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

So you can try this:

pnputil.exe -a <PathToDriver>/*.inf

Marc

Friday, February 24, 2012 5:34 PM
  • Thanks for the help.

I'm going to use this command as soon as I've solved the driver siging problem.

Thomas

Friday, February 24, 2012 7:10 PM

• Hi,

How is everything going? Could you please
    tell us the present situation? If you need any further assistance, please do
    not hesitate to respond back.

Thanks!

Elytis Cheng

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Addygol provided the correct answer.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 10:07 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello,

@ Addygol

I've tried your tip installing the driver on the first and second node and after that on the cluster and it work properly. The only strange thing is that the printer properties causing 0xc0000005 Access violation error and this only on the printer cluster managment. Everywhere else it works fine.

Very much appreaicte the help

Thomas

• Edited by Thomas Al Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:35 AM
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:35 AM