none
Ethernet Controller drivers for 64 bit Windows Server 2003 VM

Question

• I am trying to install a virtual machine using MS Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard x64 Edition.  The only problem I have had with installing any of my VMs has been getting the network controller working on this particular one.

There is a yellow/black exclaimation point next to the Ethernet Controller under my Device Manager | Computer | Other Devices.  Usually, one would right click on it and Update Driver; however, I am unable to find the right one for this.  I have looked on the VMGUEST.ISO Integrated Services disk and tried the Internet to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

@ndyP

Monday, May 12, 2008 10:12 PM

Answers

• If you have to modify the VM - removing the Network Adapter and add a Legacy Network Adapter.

Or I have that backward and you have to remove the Legacy Network adapter and install a Synthetic Network Adapter (if you are using the SCVMM 2008 beta).

Then insert the Integration Components disk and allow it to auto install (if the add hardware wizard is open the ICs will not install).

Monday, May 12, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Please disregard the last post.

I went snooping around and found the Synthetic driver under the Hardware Configuration of the VM as a Network Adapter.

Thank you all for your support....

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:02 PM

All replies

• If you have to modify the VM - removing the Network Adapter and add a Legacy Network Adapter.

Or I have that backward and you have to remove the Legacy Network adapter and install a Synthetic Network Adapter (if you are using the SCVMM 2008 beta).

Then insert the Integration Components disk and allow it to auto install (if the add hardware wizard is open the ICs will not install).

Monday, May 12, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Hi,

How do I install the Synthetic Network Adapter?

FYI... I tried uninstalling the Ethernet Controller, updating the driver from the IC disk, and have been unsucessful.

Although, the mouse and the VMBus is working...

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:14 PM
  • Please disregard the last post.

I went snooping around and found the Synthetic driver under the Hardware Configuration of the VM as a Network Adapter.

Thank you all for your support....

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:02 PM