none
Error code 8024402C

Question

• I cannot go to microsoft.com or any microsoft website. Will not allow me to go to windows update. This started after installing updates on 5/2/10. Last update that was installed is KB952068. I am running Windows server 2008 standard. I have disable the firewall. Since installing that update windows defender lauanches. I exit it and disable firewall but still cannot update or go to microsoft. I have tried all options that it advises and they do not work. I have tried to uninstall update KB952068, but it will not install. I go to services and start DCOM, RPC and windows update, but it still gives the error. I am not on a domain. I run this is my home server. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Edison Harris

Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Edison,

Please first try the suggestions on the article Dave provided. If the problem continues, please follow the steps below:

1. Run services.msc and stop Windows Update service.

2. Export to back up the following key. Then, delete this key to remove the incorrect pointers from the registry for windows updates:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

3. Start Windows Update service.

Regards,

Bruce

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Monday, May 24, 2010 10:15 AM
    Monday, May 17, 2010 6:39 AM
  • This article may help.

Error code 0x8024402C when you try to install updates on Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=900936

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:35 AM

All replies

• This article may help.

Error code 0x8024402C when you try to install updates on Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=900936

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:35 AM
  • Hi Edison,

Please first try the suggestions on the article Dave provided. If the problem continues, please follow the steps below:

1. Run services.msc and stop Windows Update service.

2. Export to back up the following key. Then, delete this key to remove the incorrect pointers from the registry for windows updates:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

3. Start Windows Update service.

Regards,

Bruce

Monday, May 17, 2010 6:39 AM
  • I am adding to this tread as a FYI for others.

I started receiving this error and followed lots of suggestions to trying to resolve it. In the end it turned out to be that the DNS server that the server was using had been decommissioned and the IP configuration on this paritcular server was not updated to point at the replacement. Windows Update could not get to Microsoft to check for updates.

Marc

• Proposed as answer by SvenBlum Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:11 AM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Alaskan, this worked for me as well. Switched the DNS, everything up and running again! Thank you very much!
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:12 AM
  • Thanks, worked for me by removing the entry of the decommissioned DNS server.
    Thursday, March 06, 2014 11:37 PM