none
setting up 2 domains with WDS installed for each

Question

• I am in a lab environment with over 50 PCs and 2 servers.  I have installed Windows Server 2008 R2 on 1 of the servers and configured WDS with WAIK and MDT 2010.  This server has AD installed and DHCP as well.

Now, I need to setup the other server with a different domain for WDS to test MDT 2012 implementations.  Is there a way to set it up such that I can control which DHCP server my PCs will connect to in order to get IP addresses and do a PXE based deployment of Windows 7 on them?

If not, would it be possible to have 2 WDS, 1 using MDT 2010 and another using MDT 2012 at the same time in a single domain and share the same DHCP server?

Would appreciate any advise.  The goal of this setup is to have the lab be able to test deploying either MDT 2010 and MDT 2012 images via WDS at any given time based on the test job I get.  Any advise on the proper approach to go about this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Q1: I need to setup the other server with a different domain for WDS to test MDT 2012 implementations.  Is there a way to set it up such that I can control which DHCP server my PCs will connect to in order to get IP addresses and do a PXE based deployment of Windows 7 on them?

A1: You mean different domains and different subnets?

•  If DHCP is installed on a server that is located in a different subnet, you will need to do one of the following:

o  (Recommended) Configure your router to forward broadcast packets. All DHCP broadcasts by client computers on UDP port 67 should be forwarded directly to both the DHCP server and the Windows Deployment Services server. Also, all traffic on UDP port 4011 from the client computers to the Windows Deployment Services server should be routed appropriately (these requests direct traffic, not broadcasts, to the server).

o  Add DHCP options 66 and 67. Option 66 should be set to the Windows Deployment Services server, and option 67 should be set to boot\x86\wdsnbp.com. For more information, see Managing Network Boot Programs (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=115304).

Q2: If not, would it be possible to have 2 WDS, 1 using MDT 2010 and another using MDT 2012 at the same time in a single domain and share the same DHCP server?

A2: I noticed there is one server with AD DS, DNS, DHCP, WDS and MDT 2010 installed. If Windows Deployment Services and DHCP are running on the same computer, configuring Windows Deployment Services to not respond to any client computers will not work. This is because although Windows Deployment Services will not respond, DHCP will. You can try to work around this issue by disabling DHCP option 60 on the DHCP tab.

DHCP will broadcast package in the same subnet. If the two WDS servers in single domain and same subnet, sharing the same DHCP server is fine. BTW, installing the DHCP server on DC is not recommended.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  Understood that DC and DHCP on the same machine is not recommended but it is just an internal test lab so the aim was to conserve HW resources.

If the 2 WDS servers are in a single domain and subnet, would it mean that I just simply disable the WDS with MDT 2010 and enable the WDS with MDT 2012 to get this setup to work?

Thanks again.

Yep.

James Xiong

Friday, July 20, 2012 1:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Q1: I need to setup the other server with a different domain for WDS to test MDT 2012 implementations.  Is there a way to set it up such that I can control which DHCP server my PCs will connect to in order to get IP addresses and do a PXE based deployment of Windows 7 on them?

A1: You mean different domains and different subnets?

•  If DHCP is installed on a server that is located in a different subnet, you will need to do one of the following:

o  (Recommended) Configure your router to forward broadcast packets. All DHCP broadcasts by client computers on UDP port 67 should be forwarded directly to both the DHCP server and the Windows Deployment Services server. Also, all traffic on UDP port 4011 from the client computers to the Windows Deployment Services server should be routed appropriately (these requests direct traffic, not broadcasts, to the server).

o  Add DHCP options 66 and 67. Option 66 should be set to the Windows Deployment Services server, and option 67 should be set to boot\x86\wdsnbp.com. For more information, see Managing Network Boot Programs (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=115304).

Q2: If not, would it be possible to have 2 WDS, 1 using MDT 2010 and another using MDT 2012 at the same time in a single domain and share the same DHCP server?

A2: I noticed there is one server with AD DS, DNS, DHCP, WDS and MDT 2010 installed. If Windows Deployment Services and DHCP are running on the same computer, configuring Windows Deployment Services to not respond to any client computers will not work. This is because although Windows Deployment Services will not respond, DHCP will. You can try to work around this issue by disabling DHCP option 60 on the DHCP tab.

DHCP will broadcast package in the same subnet. If the two WDS servers in single domain and same subnet, sharing the same DHCP server is fine. BTW, installing the DHCP server on DC is not recommended.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  Understood that DC and DHCP on the same machine is not recommended but it is just an internal test lab so the aim was to conserve HW resources.

If the 2 WDS servers are in a single domain and subnet, would it mean that I just simply disable the WDS with MDT 2010 and enable the WDS with MDT 2012 to get this setup to work?

Thanks again.

Friday, July 13, 2012 12:55 PM

Thanks again.

Yep.

James Xiong

Friday, July 20, 2012 1:16 AM