none
DHCP server not servicing requests

Question

• I have a new WS2008 x64, which is a domain controller, with DNS and DHCP (both migrated from my old WS2003 box) plus Hyper-V. It's a basic box so there's only one NIC, which Hyper-V converts to a virtual switch. The fixed IP settings from the original network adapter have been automatically migrated to this virtual switch.

DHCP is authorised and running, but not servicing requests. Scope is set and settings look to be the same as they were on WS2003.

My old DC with its fixed IP is OK, can see the new DC, plus its own virtual server, and is using the DNS OK. But no other machines (a couple of XP boxes plus a Vista, plus another LAN box) with dynamic IPs are being serviced.

The DNS log is empty, so I was somewhat surprised to find in the System log sometime later, event 1041 - "The DHCP service is not servicing any DHCPv4 clients because none of the active network interfaces have statically configured IPv4 addresses, or there are no active interfaces."

The Server Bindings box for both IPv4 and IPv6 are empty (the latter because I haven't sorted that out yet) - which from what I've read and researched ties up with the System log, but the network adapter does have a fixed IP address.

Any helpful suggestions appreciated.
    Friday, January 09, 2009 2:10 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

my strong belief is some configuration change would have made DHCP to behave in this manner, can you please re-install DHCP server and configure the scopes to test its functionality.

After this try restarting dhcp server service to see there is no service crash and also monitor the event log and let me knwo
    sainath Windows Driver Development
    Friday, January 09, 2009 3:58 AM
  • Thanks for your response.

I removed the DHCP role, rebooted when requested to complete the removal, then rebooted again to ensure that everything was fresh.

Reinstalled DHCP, and noted that the fixed IPv4 address was identified by the Role wizard.

Got a scope error on completion, the implication being that the scope already existed - which presumably was from the previous installation; when I went into the snap-in it all looked much as expected. Including Binding being empty.

Rebooted again to see if that would sort it out, and apart from the lengthy startup delay (separate thread) it's all as it was - ie, I still get the 1041 startup error "The DHCP service is not servicing any DHCPv4 clients because none of the active network interfaces have statically configured IPv4 addresses, or there are no active interfaces." The Server Bindings panel is still empty and clients can't connect.

Friday, January 09, 2009 11:54 AM
  • OK, once armed with the System log error number, there is some information here:
    http://forums.techarena.in/server-networking/964480.htm

The view there is that you can't run DHCP alongside Hyper-V when there's a single NIC - you need to add another so that one is dedicated for the parent (and DHCP) and the other is bound to the Hyper-V role's virtual switch.

However
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/8004c699-1a22-4f33-9fcd-7271bfcaf74e/#page:1
    suggests that you can resolve the problem by either tweaking NIC settings in the Registry or by changing the subnet mask which I'll try (as I don't have a spare Gb NIC I can use) and report back.

Friday, January 09, 2009 12:16 PM
  • great ! ,

i missed that one NIC on virtual server, yes you need multi homed NIC for bindings to work

sainath Windows Driver Development
    Friday, January 09, 2009 12:24 PM
  • So after re-reading the latter thread a couple of times to review the options, what I did was:

On the virtual switch, change the IPv4 subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and OK, then open the dialog again and reset the value to 255.255.0.0 and voila! The address appears in Server Bindings and my netbook immediately picked up an IP address.

(As pointed out elsewhere, it would be better to have run this instance as server core and virtualise the DHCP and other roles.)

Thanks for your suggestions, sainath.
    Friday, January 09, 2009 12:41 PM