none
Setting up DHCP Failover using server 2008 standard

Question

• Hi There,

I need some advise please. After a huge server crash, we became aware that we need to create failover servers on each aspect of our network. So far we have suceeded in AD, DNS but DHCP is our biggest problem. I was going for the 80/20 scope but server 2008 standard does not host the function. So what I've tried so far is to setup 2 diffrent scopes on diffrent server one. For example Server A hosting ip X.X.16.1 - X.X.16.254 and Server B X.X.17.1 - X.X.17.254 (with ip reservations setup on both servers) hoping that if server A goes down that all my client pc's will receive new ip's from server B, But no luck!

has any one encountered a setup similar to this or maybe setup such a network. any help wil be appreciated 
    • Moved by Tim QuanModerator Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:11 AM clustering issue (From:Setup Deployment)
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 8:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You could using the same scope on each node and turn-on Collision Detecting.

Greetings, Robert Smit http://fiberman.spaces.live.com/
    Monday, August 03, 2009 11:43 AM
  • Hi Robert,

Sorry for taking so long to get back, I did use the same scopes with Collision Detecting turned on but  I'm afraid it did not work 
    after running the then two scopes to 24 hours it created confusion when our users sign in as the clients try to authenticate to both 
    servers??

What I now have tried was to write a script that will ping server A and when the ping stops the services on server B start up. Which works very well but the cut over takes to long.
    as the clients take about 5 min to renew their IP's. I've set it on both DHCP servers that the Lease should release after 1min, what I'm wondering now is.... Is there a way that one could make the lease time 30sec? or should I increase the lease time to make the failover seemless??

PLEASE ANY ADVISE WILL HELP, Google has no info that would help me with this issue 
    Monday, August 17, 2009 7:46 AM
  • Hi AMDCrary,

With a windows 2008 R2 cluster it works just fine, in 2003 site you have to set the settings on both servers and yes if you turn on the DHCP scope and the client are already have a IP from this scope you can have collisions just delete them and it will work, the fastest server will be the winner.

I do not thing the short time is your sollution and 60 sec is the minium setting.

What you can do is setup a windows 2008 R2 DHCP server in a hyper-V box or use the other brand ;-). setup a 2 node cluster with your scopes and you will see it rocks. if you need ISCSI software it is easy to find use a storage seM rver or use the starwind iscsi software.

let me know how you solved this, I see this problem a lot , most of them have 2 dhcp server with own scopes so one can go down but now with the virtual thing there can be a minium on downtime.

take a look at 2008 R2.

Let me know.

Greetings, Robert Smit http://fiberman.spaces.live.com/
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 10:22 AM