none
Help changing the color scheme

Question

• Hello guys and thanks in advance for your time and expertise. 

My scenario is I want to change the color scheme for windows xp clients in a lab enviornment from the default blue to silver.  I know there's no setting in group policy to accomplish this.  However, I've read there are registry settings you can change to accomplish this.  My first question is would this change in settings have any negative affect on performance?  And then does anybody know the settings I would have to use in preferences to get this done. 

Again, these clients are windows xp sp3.  Your help and appreciation are greatly appreciated.

Monday, December 03, 2012 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting your question in the forum. Regarding your first question, please understand that it will not affect Windows performance if you do not use a complex theme. Since you only want to change the color scheme from default blue to silver, I do not think it will affect Windows performance. As you mentioned, there isn’t any related Group Policy and GPP settings to be configured to change the color scheme for Windows XP. If we want to change the color scheme for Windows XP, I suggest we could deploy a logon script via Group Policy. The color scheme was controlled by the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors. If you encounter any difficulties when customizing the scripts, you may submit a new question in the script forum which is a best resource for scripting related issues.

The Official Scripting Guys Forum!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ITCG/threads

If you also want to prevent users from changing the color scheme at the same time, we could navigate to the following path in GPMC: User Configuration – Administrative Templates – Control Panel – Personalization and enable Prevent changing color scheme setting.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by pendal1 Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:12 PM
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting your question in the forum. Regarding your first question, please understand that it will not affect Windows performance if you do not use a complex theme. Since you only want to change the color scheme from default blue to silver, I do not think it will affect Windows performance. As you mentioned, there isn’t any related Group Policy and GPP settings to be configured to change the color scheme for Windows XP. If we want to change the color scheme for Windows XP, I suggest we could deploy a logon script via Group Policy. The color scheme was controlled by the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors. If you encounter any difficulties when customizing the scripts, you may submit a new question in the script forum which is a best resource for scripting related issues.

The Official Scripting Guys Forum!

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ITCG/threads

If you also want to prevent users from changing the color scheme at the same time, we could navigate to the following path in GPMC: User Configuration – Administrative Templates – Control Panel – Personalization and enable Prevent changing color scheme setting.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Andy Qi

• Marked as answer by pendal1 Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:12 PM
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

Any update about the issue?

Just checking in to see if the suggestions were helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi

Thursday, December 06, 2012 3:21 AM