none
Hyper-V 2012 Task Manager Resource Monitoring

Question

• I love the new Task Manager in Server 2012 and Windows 8. However in Hyper-V 2012 Standalone it does not show disk performance/usage. I've also noticed that the Disk graphs don't show up in Sever 2012 either. Does anyone know if it's possible to get them to show up? I'm using VMM 2012 right now and that reports on disk activity but I'd like a more active live feed of disk usage on the system. The "open resource monitor" option is in the task manager on Hyper-V standalone but doesn't work.

Vincent Sprague

Thursday, September 06, 2012 8:11 PM

Answers

• A long, long time ago in a land far away (NT4 days) you used to have to run diskperf -y to enable the disk performance counters.

I ran diskperf and got this:

Both Logical and Physical Disk Performance counters on this system are automatically enabled on demand. For legacy applications using IOCTL_DISK_PERFORMANCE to retrieve raw counters, you can use -Y or -N to forcibly enable or disable. No restart is required.

Oh, only for "legacy applications". Let's run diskperf -y anyway and see what happens:

Both Logical and Physical Disk Performance counters on this system are automatically enabled on demand. Raw counters are also enabled for IOCTL_DISK_PERFORMANCE.

and I got the Disk counter back in the Performance tab in Task Manager. I'd add an image, but the form entry whinges about two images per post.

The irony is that everything old is new again. diskperf -y gets you back the Disk summary in Task Manager just like Windows 8. Wondering if there's a performance penalty involved, which would be a good reason it's turned off in the Server installs.

• Proposed as answer by Chris.Knight Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Baron164 Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:28 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:48 AM

All replies

• What happens when you push the open resource monitor link? That's where they are.
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 11:05 PM
  • [Window Title]
    C:\Windows\system32\resmon.exe

[Content]
    Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\system32\resmon.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

[OK]

The Disk activity monitor shows up in task manager in Windows 8. I was hoping they would show up there in Server 2012 and Hyper-V Standalone as well.

Vincent Sprague

Thursday, September 06, 2012 11:07 PM
  • Ah yeah. That may just be part of the UI that isn't there in core/hyper-v server installs. Let me double check though.
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 11:20 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my testing, when I open Resource Monitor, in Disk Activity, it will show up the detail disk usage on windows server 2012.

Does it not work on your server?

Best regards,

Friday, September 07, 2012 7:23 AM
  • Resource Monitor works fine on a full install of Server 2012. But I want disk activity to show up in task manager like it does for Windows 8.

Vincent Sprague

Friday, September 07, 2012 2:31 PM
  • I haven't heard back from the team yet, but I was able to replicate the problem with that link on a test host of mine. My guess is that it is not there in core installs and that link probably shouldn't be there. I will update this thread if I hear anything back.
    Friday, September 07, 2012 6:37 PM
  • That's what I figured, but I'm still wondering why disk activity shows up in task manager on Windows 8 but not Server 2012 or Server 2012 Core installs and is there anyway of making disk activity show up in Server 2012 without opening the full Resource Monitor.

For example this is Windows 8 Task Manager (Notice Disk 0 and Disk 1)

However this is what Server 2012 and Hyper-V 2012 Standalone Look like

Vincent Sprague

Friday, September 07, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Yep I'm with you. I'm not sure I know the answer either. It may be a better question for the Server 2012 general forum unfortunately. Are you using the RC version?
    Friday, September 07, 2012 7:31 PM
  • Ok, just wanted to make sure. Nope, I'm using the RTM versions. Any way to move the question to the Server 2012 forums or would I need to create a new question?

Vincent Sprague

Friday, September 07, 2012 7:32 PM
  • I am not a moderator or I'd move it for you. For times sake, I would go with a new question and link it to here.

Friday, September 07, 2012 7:39 PM
  • Ok I'll do that

Vincent Sprague

Friday, September 07, 2012 7:40 PM
  • FYI I'm seeing the same thing on my server 2012 standard install inside a Hyper-V VM using a VHDX disk.  Note: Hyper-V is running on a Windows 8 RTM which boots from VHD.

I also noticed that the Task Manager UI still shows disk as an option, but it's greyed out:

Task Manager - View | Disk - greyed out

Did you manage to post this question in another forum? Can you link to it here?

Thanks
    Craig

Monday, September 10, 2012 9:01 AM
  • I've actually tried copying the reson.exe bits from a full Server 2012 installation to a Core 2012 installation and nothing happened when I hit the Resource Monitor link, mind you I've been doing this to a Hyper-V Server 2012 installation if that makes anything different.
    Monday, September 10, 2012 6:42 PM
  • A long, long time ago in a land far away (NT4 days) you used to have to run diskperf -y to enable the disk performance counters.

I ran diskperf and got this:

Both Logical and Physical Disk Performance counters on this system are automatically enabled on demand. For legacy applications using IOCTL_DISK_PERFORMANCE to retrieve raw counters, you can use -Y or -N to forcibly enable or disable. No restart is required.

Oh, only for "legacy applications". Let's run diskperf -y anyway and see what happens:

Both Logical and Physical Disk Performance counters on this system are automatically enabled on demand. Raw counters are also enabled for IOCTL_DISK_PERFORMANCE.

and I got the Disk counter back in the Performance tab in Task Manager. I'd add an image, but the form entry whinges about two images per post.

The irony is that everything old is new again. diskperf -y gets you back the Disk summary in Task Manager just like Windows 8. Wondering if there's a performance penalty involved, which would be a good reason it's turned off in the Server installs.

• Proposed as answer by Chris.Knight Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Baron164 Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:28 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:48 AM
  • Excellent, thank you, it works perfectly in Hyper-V 2012 Standalone.

Vincent Sprague

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Great tip! But yes, there is apparently a performance hit incurred which I guess is why MS disabled it in the first place for Server 2012. See http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2012/10/27/windows-8-windows-server-2012-the-new-task-manager.aspx for more info.

Brian

Brian Lalancette | MCTS, MOSS 2007 / SharePoint 2010 | Twitter: @brianlala | Blog: http://spinsiders.com/brianlala

Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:17 PM
  • Also note that the diskperf -y tip only gets you the nice graphs in the Performance tab of Task Manager; it still doesn't get you a column under the Processes tab like you get for CPU and Memory.

And to top it all off, the Disk transfer rate and Active time stats are shown in the reverse order in Server 2012:

Note e.g. that disk transfer rate is the larger graph on top, as opposed to Active time being on top in Windows 8:

Windows 8 Disk Performance Stats

Brian

Brian Lalancette | MCTS, MOSS 2007 / SharePoint 2010 | Twitter: @brianlala | Blog: http://spinsiders.com/brianlala

Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:32 PM