none
DFS Replication

Question

• I am having 3 DC's running with Windows Server 2008 SP2(STD EDTN).  From recent days i have started to get these errors Event ID 5014 "The DFS Replication service is stopping communication with partner <<servername>> for replication group Domain System Volume due to an error. The service will retry the connection periodically. "

Log Name:      DFS Replication
    Source:        DFSR
    Date:          6/17/2010 6:07:54 AM
    Event ID:      5014
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      <<Server Name>>
    Description:
    The DFS Replication service is stopping communication with partner <<Server NAme>> for replication group Domain System Volume due to an error. The service will retry the connection periodically.

Additional Information:
    Error: 9033 (The request was cancelled by a shutdown)
    Connection ID: 8F2D7FA9-9632-4E3C-BC05-80E6FFE67110
    Replication Group ID: 2EC41177-32C9-42A3-9141-0CB684F035A9
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="DFSR" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32768">5014</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-06-17T00:37:54.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>2935</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>DFS Replication</Channel>
        <Computer></Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>8F2D7FA9-9632-4E3C-BC05-80E6FFE67110</Data>
        <Data>CBR-SRV-HPADC</Data>
        <Data>Domain System Volume</Data>
        <Data>9033</Data>
        <Data>The request was cancelled by a shutdown</Data>
        <Data>2EC41177-32C9-42A3-9141-0CB684F035A9</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Please let me know what is the reason which causing this problem.

Thanks -Sumanth

Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Sumanth,

1. Please check the all the firewall (including Windows Firewall and other 3rd party firewall among the three servers) to verify that TCP port 135 is not blocked among the 2 DFS servers. If possible, please turn off the Windows Firewall on both the DFS test servers to check if the issue still exits.

2. Please verify that the TCP port that is used by the DFS Replication Service on the replication partner can be accessible. Check if there is any error message.

Use rpcdump.exe to verify port 135 connectivity and RPC endpoint connectivity.

Use rpcdump.exe to query the endpoint mapper database and the DFS Replication endpoint.

Run the following command in command line.

C:\> rpcdump.exe /s <DFS Replication partner> /v /i > C:\endpoints.txt

Download the rpcdump.exe from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

Meanwhile, please also refer to the following steps to collect a diagnostic report on the DFS replication group.

Create a diagnostic report for DFS Replication

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778105.aspx

You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=0a80b9b3-cd2d-4b17-9a31-4ac0770656bb)

Password: Nuzy_FiNHZj9)1V

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: please give the files a specific name such as add your name in the end of the names so I can recognize them. Also please post back if files are uploaded.

Friday, June 18, 2010 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hello,

please check for starting:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976442

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 10:46 AM
  • Hi Sumanth,

1. Please check the all the firewall (including Windows Firewall and other 3rd party firewall among the three servers) to verify that TCP port 135 is not blocked among the 2 DFS servers. If possible, please turn off the Windows Firewall on both the DFS test servers to check if the issue still exits.

2. Please verify that the TCP port that is used by the DFS Replication Service on the replication partner can be accessible. Check if there is any error message.

Use rpcdump.exe to verify port 135 connectivity and RPC endpoint connectivity.

Use rpcdump.exe to query the endpoint mapper database and the DFS Replication endpoint.

Run the following command in command line.

C:\> rpcdump.exe /s <DFS Replication partner> /v /i > C:\endpoints.txt

Download the rpcdump.exe from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

Meanwhile, please also refer to the following steps to collect a diagnostic report on the DFS replication group.

Create a diagnostic report for DFS Replication

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc778105.aspx

You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=0a80b9b3-cd2d-4b17-9a31-4ac0770656bb)

Password: Nuzy_FiNHZj9)1V

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: please give the files a specific name such as add your name in the end of the names so I can recognize them. Also please post back if files are uploaded.

Friday, June 18, 2010 8:49 AM
  • FYI, I do not mean to be contentious, but the above is NOT the "answer." It is a nice set of troubleshooting steps but what was the final "real answer" (i.e., the cause & the solution/resolution)? I am seeing some similar issues, so it would be nice for someone to post and give the result, unless the user never uploaded the logs for review. Thanks.

tnjman

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:49 PM
  • FYI, I do not mean to be contentious, but the above is NOT the "answer." It is a nice set of troubleshooting steps but what was the final "real answer" (i.e., the cause & the solution/resolution)? I am seeing some similar issues, so it would be nice for someone to post and give the result, unless the user never uploaded the logs for review. Thanks.

tnjman

That's the one thing that makes these forums next to useless. The moderators will scramble all over themselves to mark SOMETHING as an answer, even if it's just general troubleshooting steps or another question. 
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:23 PM
  • Yes - I agree. I have the exact same problem and the solution marked is not the answer.  No firewalls, rpcdump looks fine,  and if I delete and recreate the replication group it will fix it.  Trying to avoid doing that. Have applied most of hotfixes and rebooted, but still have issue. It was working fine 2 weeks ago.

Dan Heim

Thursday, September 25, 2014 6:11 PM