none
How to input "|" from a tablet?

Question

• Today I intended to do some work from a tablet. 
    I inteded to run some powershell commands.When I hit a big problem.

How do you input the "|" from a tablet?

On the physical Keyboards I use that sign is inputed by pressing ALT and the Number 7.
    But neither the virtual keyboard from the RDP Program I use on the tablet or the virtual keyboard from windows does have this sign or the number 7 (the one generlly above the letters not the one on the num pad).
    Server core doesn't even have a virtual keyboard even if it would exist on there...
    Any input besides writing a script on a PC? Kinda feels odd to hitting a wall with something like this...
    Since the virtual Keyboad is missing the Alt Button it doesn't even seem to be an option to input it using ASCI Code.

Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:59 AM

Answers

• is it a language/locale problem (is your system in some language other than English-US, but the tablet or RDP program is only English-US ?)

on my EN-AU Win7, the OnScreenKeyboard matches my physical keyboard ( shift + \ ) :

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:04 PM
  • OK, that's interesting. I actually was talking about the new touch keyboard which appears automatically as an icon on the bottom right corner. The one you posted is a different one and seems to be the old one that already existed in the older windows versions but it's still possible to start it.

Thanks for the input. It actually does work with the old on screen keyboard. Just doesn't seem to be possible with the new touch keyboard...

There is sitll one Question: What if you directly connect to an Windows Server Core installation? Is it possible to start the on screen keyboard there too?

Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:36 PM
  • yes, the pic I posted was the old OSK from Win7.

I just got my Win8 tablet going again, and, it has the symbol you are looking for..

touch the tile "&123" [which i guess means 'symbols']
    touch the tile "(->)"  [which i guess means 'page-right']
    the vertical bar (?) is there. actually a dashed version and a solid version. am not sure of the "correct" name of those symbols, but looks good.

Windows Server Core - no GUI ? you may have to use ALT+NumPad ?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:13 PM

All replies

• It seems that the question is legal one but you may have aimed at wrong technet forum.

Regards

Milos

Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:43 AM
  • is it a language/locale problem (is your system in some language other than English-US, but the tablet or RDP program is only English-US ?)

on my EN-AU Win7, the OnScreenKeyboard matches my physical keyboard ( shift + \ ) :

Don

Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:04 PM
  • OK, that's interesting. I actually was talking about the new touch keyboard which appears automatically as an icon on the bottom right corner. The one you posted is a different one and seems to be the old one that already existed in the older windows versions but it's still possible to start it.

Thanks for the input. It actually does work with the old on screen keyboard. Just doesn't seem to be possible with the new touch keyboard...

There is sitll one Question: What if you directly connect to an Windows Server Core installation? Is it possible to start the on screen keyboard there too?

Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:36 PM
  • yes, the pic I posted was the old OSK from Win7.

I just got my Win8 tablet going again, and, it has the symbol you are looking for..

touch the tile "&123" [which i guess means 'symbols']
    touch the tile "(->)"  [which i guess means 'page-right']
    the vertical bar (?) is there. actually a dashed version and a solid version. am not sure of the "correct" name of those symbols, but looks good.

Windows Server Core - no GUI ? you may have to use ALT+NumPad ?

Don

Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:13 PM
  • yeah you're right dind't come to my mind to press the arrow button with the circle around it. Also appears there with my language settings.

Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:21 PM