none
Windows Server 2003 Hangs on Reboot

Question

• Hello,

I have a Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 server running Exchange 2007 that hangs when attempting to reboot.  It has done this three times, and it requires a manual power-down of the server.  Doug

Friday, March 22, 2013 2:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thorough checking of event viewer will give us some clues for server hung state.So check it once.

Regards, Ravikumar P

Friday, March 22, 2013 3:41 PM
  • The issue mentioned in your post might as well occur if the drivers and firmwares on the server are malfunctioning.  Please see if drivers and firmwares needs any update.

AV client might cause such issues as well however, like Ravi mentioned, pls go through the event viewer first.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Friday, March 22, 2013 4:07 PM
  • Thanks guys.  I don't see anything in the event logs indicating such issues.   I'll update the firmware and drivers and see what happens.
    Friday, March 22, 2013 6:03 PM
  • So you mentioned that it getting hung during reboot and Exchange 2007 is running on Windows 2003 R2 X64.

How you are initiating the reboot ?? Using command ?? or using Start Program ?? and How much Memory is on the server ??

When we initiated a reboot it showing gracefully terminate all the services and processing and after all are gone, the server will come down and start booting up again.

Here when you initiated the reboot seems the graceful shutdown of the services might taking time. You can see the Event logs to check When you initiated the reboot command and  When the Event log service stopped.

Sometimes what happens is the systems running with DC and Exchange on it will take more time to reboot.

Can you do one thing can you initiate the reboot using below command:

"Shutdown -r -f -t 00"

This command will initiate the restart of the computer and if any service is trying obstruct this reboot it will try killing that and perform the reboot activity.

Once you performed this can you publish the time taken when the "Event Log service Stopped" and When the "Event log Service started", i.e. Please let us to know the time difference between 6005 and 6006 Events.

Regards, Prakash Nimmala Skype : Prakash.Nimmala Email ID : prakash.nimmala@hotmail.com Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Vote As Helpful & click on Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Sunday, March 24, 2013 10:15 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to test the issue in Clean Boot.

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/en-us

What’s the result when you restart the computer in Clean Boot?

If it works fine in Clean Boot, you may narrow down the cause in the disabled items.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 25, 2013 5:18 AM
  • It happens when an automatic reboot occurs after Microsoft Updates.  It also occurred when a perform a Force Shutdown using VBScript.   The server has 16GB of memory.  The server is only running Exchange 2007.  I'll record the time between the event ID.  Thanks, Doug
    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Had similar issues on a Windows 7 client, corrupt display driver was the cause.

Since when do you have this issue?
    Any recent changes which might have caused it?

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:44 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscriptionuser and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 5:01 AM