none
Servers don't see each other

Question

• Hello all,

I'm a student and I have to deliver my server, working, after this weekend or I'll fail. I can't ask the tutor because he is not working now. I hope you guys can help me out.

I have to connect 2 servers (Server 2008 datacenter). They have to be able to ping and share files together. I can ping from server1 to server 2. But I have a complicated problem with server 1. My classmates don't get it. 

Server 1 can ping server 2, but cannot see server 2.

Server 2 can ping server 1, and can see server 1.

I have to see server 2 on server 1 before I can go on. I hope you guys can help me. 

They are in the same group, IP's are right configured, subnetmask is okay, the network is private. 

Kind regards,

Bart Roelofs, 17 (The Netherlands)

Saturday, April 06, 2013 10:44 AM

Answers

• Hello Bart,
    I suggest to check if it's a Firewall issue: Is Windows Firewall enabled on Server 2 ? If yes, disable it and try again to reach Server 2 from Server 1. Does it work as expected ? If yes it's a Firewall issue: compare Windows Firewall rules on both Servers (especially those concerning File and Printer Sharing).

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, April 06, 2013 11:52 AM

All replies

• Hello Bart,
    I suggest to check if it's a Firewall issue: Is Windows Firewall enabled on Server 2 ? If yes, disable it and try again to reach Server 2 from Server 1. Does it work as expected ? If yes it's a Firewall issue: compare Windows Firewall rules on both Servers (especially those concerning File and Printer Sharing).

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, April 06, 2013 11:52 AM
  • When you say 'see' I imagine you mean access to resources such as file shares. If that's the case, I suggest you disable the firewall on server or open appropriante ports for whatever it is you cannot see (i.e. port 445 shares, ports 137-139 netBIOS, etc.)

Also, when you ping server 2, make sure that the ipaddress the ping returns is the correct address of server2.

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    Web Site | Blog

Saturday, April 06, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Hello Bart,
    any news about it ?

Bye,
    Luca

Saturday, April 13, 2013 11:19 AM