none
Demote or remove AD servcies role

Question

• Hi

I want to demote or remove the role of AD Domain services from a Server Core installation. However I can't seem to find much info regarding how to do this.

Using "dcpromo /DemoteFSMO:Yes" command is all I can find, however I don't want to run this until I know what this actually does e.g. remove the FMSO role only or does it remove AD services from Server Core.

Does anyone know of any good refrence documentation or articles on achieving the above and/or can assist with this?

Thanks.

Friday, April 18, 2008 1:22 AM

Answers

• On demoting

Over on Microsoft TechNet there is good documentation on the dcpromo.exe command. The section Dcpromo Demotion operation parameters (scroll down) should be of special interest to you.

On uninstalling binaries

After demotion you can choose to uninstall the Active Directory Domain Controller binaries, using the following command:

dcpromo /UninstallBinaries

On removing sources

When your server is not running as a Domain Controller and you never wish to make it one, you can also uninstall the local installation sources for this role. Andrew wrote a great post on this yesterday.

Warning

This is a one way operation, once you remove a role or feature there is NO way to bring it back. If you realize later that you need the role or feature the only option is to reinstall.

Friday, April 18, 2008 6:12 AM

All replies

• On demoting

Over on Microsoft TechNet there is good documentation on the dcpromo.exe command. The section Dcpromo Demotion operation parameters (scroll down) should be of special interest to you.

On uninstalling binaries

After demotion you can choose to uninstall the Active Directory Domain Controller binaries, using the following command:

dcpromo /UninstallBinaries

On removing sources

When your server is not running as a Domain Controller and you never wish to make it one, you can also uninstall the local installation sources for this role. Andrew wrote a great post on this yesterday.

Warning

This is a one way operation, once you remove a role or feature there is NO way to bring it back. If you realize later that you need the role or feature the only option is to reinstall.

Friday, April 18, 2008 6:12 AM
  • Thanks for the info, however that page is where I find the other commands.

Think I will run up a VM first for testing and go from there.

Thanks again.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 7:20 AM