none
2012 essentials r2: how to "manually" set up host and virtualized 2012e r2?

Question

• So 2012e r2 is supposed to make it easier to setup a virtualized server.

How do we set this up? Found this for OEM partners, but looking for "manual setup" directions:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/341bd905-1d99-4e3d-af16-04aadf9e9ab9/installing-windows-server-2012-essentials-r2-hyperv-role

Can one manually install hyper-v on essentials then setup VM, and then remove some roles to get back to a leaner host? I'd like to set this up manually and add particular drivers and Intel RST management, then remove roles

thanks

• Edited by beaglers Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:42 PM
    Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• Not really no -

those steps are pretty much how to do it.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Monday, November 11, 2013 11:08 AM
  • Well I've tried multiple times with the OEM procedure. I just get an install of 2012E without essentials role and no VM setup so I just did it myself manually.

also:

http://moodjbow.wordpress.com/2013/07/02/server-2012-r2-essentials-hyper-v-how-to/

looks like one just installs 2012e

add hyper-v role, remove essentials role

add vm to your liking

remove other roles if you want to shrink the host.

anyone doing this vs the "wrap" procedure referenced above?

Saturday, November 16, 2013 9:10 PM
  • the 'wrap' procedure i think, is mainly designed for an OEM so that they can roll out an image to multiple machines. So whilst it is possible for you to follow this and work on it to get it right, it really doesn't actually offer any benefit over doing what you ended up doing, ie installing it manually.

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:13 AM
  • I have tried to create a step-by-step guide:

http://techie-blog.blogspot.de/2014/02/windows-server-2012-r2-essentials.html

Anguel

• Edited by AnguelS Friday, February 28, 2014 1:27 PM
    Friday, February 28, 2014 1:27 PM
  • Thank you for this, I think I am starting to understand it.  Could Microsoft have made this anymore complicated??!!

First, it this procedure advantageous so that you do not have to use up another license and buy and install Server Standard 2012 R2 then install Essentials in the VM, that is, with the one purchase of Essentials R2 you can install the 2012 on the physical machine and Essentials on the VM?

I am trying to upgrade from sbs2008 to 21012, but don't understand they why of using the VM machines. What is the advantage of installing Exchange 21013 on a VM2 with 2012 R2 (without Essentials) on the physical machine and Essentials on VM1?  Why not just install everythinjg on the physical machine?  Or is this not possible or does not support the migration from sbs 2008 to the 2012?

Would it be better to install Essentials on the physical machine #1 and install Exchange on another physical machine #2 with 2012 R2?

If I do as your blog outlines and install 2012 R2 on the physical machine, Essentials  on VM! and Exchange on VM2, how much RAM would you recommend on the physical machine and reserved for each VM?  My server is a HP ProliantDL160 w/dual quadcore and 24GB ram and hardware RAID.  Maybe I should buy more ram to do this?

skb

Sunday, March 09, 2014 8:02 PM
  • You can't install Exchange on a domain controller.  So you can't put Exchange 2013 with a DC on a single physical server.

You also can't install another VM on an Essentials that is also a host of a virtual Essentials.  It is only allowed to host one single virtual instance.

You need more ram to host both an Exchange 2013 and a DC they way you need to.

Unfortunately TechNet subscriptions aren't coming back, sorry folks :-(

Monday, March 10, 2014 4:51 AM
  • OK thanks!  Now some other questions:

1.  From what I have been able to determine, if I install Essentials as the DC and root of the domain/forest, I don't need to have CALS for up to 25 users and up to 50 devices (which I assume are other member servers?). I don't want to deal with CALS and I have only about 15 users, but I have 3 to 5 servers, so this is what I think I want to do, install 2012 R2 Essentials as the DC and root of the domain. Am I right about the CAL issue, that I won't need them for member servers?

2.  I am migrating from SBS2008, and on the one SBS2008 server I have Exchange 2007 and SharePoint w/Companyweb.  I understand that I cannot install Exchange 2013 on the DC, and also that I have to do something with Sharepoint which also does not come with Essentials.  So the question becomes whether to try to install these on VM's or to move them to member servers.  I've read a lot about using Essentials on VM, but it seems with only one VM I cannot install Essentials/Hyper V on the physical server, and then install Essentials on VM1, and there is no other VM available for Exchange & SharePoint.  But then there is the suggestion in some forum responses to put Essentials as the VM1 of the 2012 R2 Std server, then put Exchange & Sharepoint on VM2.  If this is done, does the Essentials on VM1 still operate like the DC/root of domain and eliminate the need for CALS or does this all change because it is residing on a 2012 R2 Standard physical server? Without CALS, how would you log into the physical server to start up the VM1 w/Essentials?

3. With all this in consideration, maybe this is all just too complicated to recreate all the functions of SBS2008 on one physical server?  Could I not just install Essentials and SharePoint on the physical server used as the DC and root of domain and then on a 2012 R2 member server install Exchange 2013. I can see now after going through the migration from SBS2003 to SBS2008 that having Exchange on it's own server will make upgrades in the future a lot easier.

skb

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:05 AM
  • You'll need server and Exchange cals for the member server hosting Exchange. Essentials only licenses itself.

Sharepoint isn't supported on a DC either. 

Also keep in mind going forward that SharePoint 2013 looks to be the last free version available and the next SharePoint won't have a free version.

Unfortunately TechNet subscriptions aren't coming back, sorry folks :-(

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:17 AM