none
Local Area Connection not appear in window server 2008 core

Question

• hi 

FOr training purpose I had installed WIndow server 2008 core in my virtual machine

then I had change name

using  

netdom renamecomputer %computername% /newname:SERVER02
    then I trid to set ip 
    netsh interface ipv4 set address name="2" source=static address=192.168.1.199 mask=255.255.255.0 gateway=192.168.1.1
    But I realise that there is no local area connection is there by default,
    when I tried this netsh interface ipv4 show interface.
    by typing netsh interface ipv4 show interface
    i got only loopback address
    so I can not move further.
    so if I tried this
    netsh interface ipv4 set address name="2" source=static address=192.168.1.199 mask=255.255.255.0 gateway=192.168.1.1
    it shows error "Element not Found"
    but obviously because there is not any local area connection. there is only one loop back address is there.

SO please can you guide me proper way how to fix this problem? i am new in this field

Monday, January 16, 2012 5:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Did you add virtual network to the virtual machine in the virtual machine’s settings? Did you install Integration Services for the virtual machine?

By the way, please try to run systeminfo command within the virtual machine, in the output, you will be able to find the network adapters installed on the virtual machine.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, January 16, 2012 6:50 AM

All replies

• i am using virtual machine using hyper-v
    Monday, January 16, 2012 6:02 AM
  • Hi,

Did you add virtual network to the virtual machine in the virtual machine’s settings? Did you install Integration Services for the virtual machine?

By the way, please try to run systeminfo command within the virtual machine, in the output, you will be able to find the network adapters installed on the virtual machine.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, January 16, 2012 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

I've installed Windows 2008 Server Core twice (for training) e have the same problem. I've add the virtual network to the virtual machine and systeminfo command showed "Network card(s): N/A". I tried installing Integration Services, but the message was "The integration services is not supported in this version pf Windows".

Could you help me?

Best Regards,

Mauricio

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:36 PM
  •   Hi,

I've found solution today. In the Hyper-V VM settings I changed the Network Adapter by Legacy Network Adapter. After that, I could see the network adapter name with the ipconfig /all command line.  Then I could run the command 'Netsh interface ipv4 set address name="Loca Network Adapter 3" source=static address=X.X.X.X mask=255.255.255.0 gateway=X.X.X.X' with no errors.

Thank's

Best Regards

MOP

Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:32 PM