none
slow printing redirected printers

Question

• OK, this is driving us crazy at work.
    I've been searching in the forums at this topic but nothing seems to help us.

We use redirected printers from an Remote desktop (RD Web) envirement.

Whenever we want to print something, our printers get redirected to the server.
    But the problem is that it takes approxametly 14 seconds per page to print. So if I have to print 10 pages, it takes 140 seconds untill something happens...

We don't know what causes the problem but it's very annoying.
    If we go to our server (domain controller and terminal server) I can see the printer propertys but some areas are greyed out. So I can't change them.

for example my printer has this option set: advance print directly to printer but when I look to the redirected printer it's different and it's place them on hold and so on...
    I have admin rights on the server so I should be able to control everything.

Can somebody please explain us what to do? It's been annoying for months now...

Monday, November 12, 2012 1:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Firstly, please check your printer driver, update to the latest version on both client side and Terminal server.

In addition, please note that Easy Printer working slow when using RD gateway server. You can disable use Easy Print first in group policy to see if the issue still persists.

You can use Group Policy settings for Printer Redirection:

The full path of this node in the Group Policy Management Console is:

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Terminal Server\Printer Redirection

More information:

Printer Redirection
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731963(WS.10).aspx

Using Terminal Services Easy Print Driver
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff519199(WS.10).aspx

Best Regards,
    Aiden

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:00 AM
  • Hi,

The path in the local group policy of your 2008 R2 RDSH (old name TS) server would be Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Printer Redirection

Use Remote Desktop Easy Print printer driver first     Disabled

-TP

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

Some that you are seeing are network printers and some are auto-created redirected printers.  Whether or not this is okay depends on how you have things set up and what you are trying to achieve.  In general, for regular users, you want things configured so they will only see each printer once so they do not get confused.

Let me give you a example so that you may understand how things work better.

Example:  A person is logged on to a domain PC and they have a network printer connection to the shared printer name02, which shows up on the local PC as "name02 on srvocdc1"  Next the person connects to the RDSH server via RDWeb and they see "name02 on srvocdc1 (redirected 58)" in their list of printers.  The reason they see this printer on the RDSH server is because it was automatically created to support the printer on their local PC.

Now if the user also has a network printer connection to the name02 in their RDSH session, then they will see the printer twice:  one is the redirected printer back to their local printer and the other one is the network printer connection.

-TP

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:43 AM
  • I found the answer on that question myself. I just had to choose another driver with pcl6 enabled (not from HP) and now everything works like a charm.
    HP universal printer driver pcl 6 isn't that good, pcl 6 5.3 is better. Helped me for other printers but for the 1200 series I just had to choose a driver from another company. Thanks for the help guys!
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Firstly, please check your printer driver, update to the latest version on both client side and Terminal server.

In addition, please note that Easy Printer working slow when using RD gateway server. You can disable use Easy Print first in group policy to see if the issue still persists.

You can use Group Policy settings for Printer Redirection:

The full path of this node in the Group Policy Management Console is:

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Terminal Server\Printer Redirection

More information:

Printer Redirection
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731963(WS.10).aspx

Using Terminal Services Easy Print Driver
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff519199(WS.10).aspx

Best Regards,
    Aiden

Aiden Cao

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:00 AM
  • Hi,

Please try a different printer driver on the local client PC.  For example, if you are currently using the PCL6 driver for your printer model please try switching to the XPS or PCL5 or PS version.  You may also try updating to a newer version of the same driver, or switching to a basic or universal version to see if that helps.

If the above does not solve the problem then I recommend changing the GP setting as Aiden mentioned and loading the driver for the specific printer model on the server. 

Please note that you will be more likely to have other problems (print spooler crashing, registry bloat, slow logons) with specific manufacturer printer drivers loaded on your server instead of using RD Easy Print for all redirected printers.  It is not a certainty that these problems will occur because it depends on the specific printer drivers you load and whether or not they have bugs.

If you need to load specific printer drivers on the server for your printers you should only do so for printers that have the native ability to understand PCL/PS/XPS/other page description language and not for host-based printers.

Thanks.

-TP

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:46 AM
  • Hi,

Aiden Cao

Hi Aiden thanks for your answer but this is already a problem and I still have a lot of questions, when I go to Local group policy editor this is the path that I can follow: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components.

And then it stops. So I don't have a Policies and Terminal Services node? Do you call it a node? And am I looking in the right place?

Should I change these settings on our domain controller or should I change these settings on our Terminal Server, both list the networkprinters we use and will this apply to locally installed printers that get redirected to? (And yes I know we should use networkprinters and not local printers but unfortianetly that's not up to me to decide...

We do have all the printer drivers installed on our servers. Easy print driver but also some drivers from the printers self. like for example hp Laserjet P2000 series of hp universal printer driver. I do notice that on our domain controller the printers get redirected with their own drivers and on our terminal server they get redirected by easy printer driver. This could explain why printing from an RD Web envirement go's slow and maybe you are right we disable easy print driver on our terminal server but I don't know how.

thanx

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:41 AM
  • Hi,

Please try a different printer driver on the local client PC.  For example, if you are currently using the PCL6 driver for your printer model please try switching to the XPS or PCL5 or PS version.  You may also try updating to a newer version of the same driver, or switching to a basic or universal version to see if that helps.

If the above does not solve the problem then I recommend changing the GP setting as Aiden mentioned and loading the driver for the specific printer model on the server. 

Please note that you will be more likely to have other problems (print spooler crashing, registry bloat, slow logons) with specific manufacturer printer drivers loaded on your server instead of using RD Easy Print for all redirected printers.  It is not a certainty that these problems will occur because it depends on the specific printer drivers you load and whether or not they have bugs.

If you need to load specific printer drivers on the server for your printers you should only do so for printers that have the native ability to understand PCL/PS/XPS/other page description language and not for host-based printers.

Thanks.

-TP

Look at my answer above, it puzzles me why they set up things like this. (We didn't install our terminal server self). We did install the domain controller ourself...)

thanx for the help.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

The path in the local group policy of your 2008 R2 RDSH (old name TS) server would be Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Printer Redirection

-TP

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

-TP

Ok there's still some things that riddle me on our Terminal Server so 2008 R2 RDSH we have a list of network printers for example: name02 but that same name name02 on srvocdc1 (redirected 1167) is also on the list (so srvocdc1 is the name of our domain controller) and when I look on the domain controller and the list of printers I see name02 and name02 on srvocdc1 (redirected 58) standing. I don't think that's the right way to set up things. So should I remove some of those printers or are these settings okay? 
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:17 AM
  • Hi,

Some that you are seeing are network printers and some are auto-created redirected printers.  Whether or not this is okay depends on how you have things set up and what you are trying to achieve.  In general, for regular users, you want things configured so they will only see each printer once so they do not get confused.

Let me give you a example so that you may understand how things work better.

Example:  A person is logged on to a domain PC and they have a network printer connection to the shared printer name02, which shows up on the local PC as "name02 on srvocdc1"  Next the person connects to the RDSH server via RDWeb and they see "name02 on srvocdc1 (redirected 58)" in their list of printers.  The reason they see this printer on the RDSH server is because it was automatically created to support the printer on their local PC.

Now if the user also has a network printer connection to the name02 in their RDSH session, then they will see the printer twice:  one is the redirected printer back to their local printer and the other one is the network printer connection.

-TP

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:43 AM
  • Ok Thanks just one more question. If the printer drivers of a locally installed printer aren't installed on the terminal server, The terminal server will choose the Easy print driver anyhow is that correct?

Thank you very much for the helped. I already made some printers do their work much quicker. No I just have to add the right drivers to the server of the older printers if i'm correct. 

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:22 AM
  • And yet another question. All local printers are now working fine and quick through a remote desktop application and are redirecting like they should. So I installed all the right drivers on the server and when the local printers are redirected they choose the right driver of that printer. Now the only problem that I still have is the use of HP 1200 laserjet printers. For some reason I can't find a good driver for that type of printer that works on windows server 2008 and when I use the universal printer driver of HP the terminal server still chooses the easy print above the universal driver. Is there a solution for that or are those printers just outdated?

thank you very much!

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:51 AM
  • I found the answer on that question myself. I just had to choose another driver with pcl6 enabled (not from HP) and now everything works like a charm.
    HP universal printer driver pcl 6 isn't that good, pcl 6 5.3 is better. Helped me for other printers but for the 1200 series I just had to choose a driver from another company. Thanks for the help guys!
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:35 PM