none
DFSR - Content skipped by replication

Question

• Hi

So i have setup DFSR replication between 2 Windows 2008R2 servers. Replication works fine but for some reason, some files are skipped from being replicated.

I have ran a diagnose Health report and get a list of file skipped with the error:

One or more replicated folders have content skipped by DFS Replication.
    Affected replicated folders: Business Data, Home, Shared Folders
    Description: DFS Replication does not replicate certain files in the replicated folders listed above because they have temporary attribute set, or they are symbolic links . This problem is affecting at least 302 files in 4 replicated folders (up to 100 occurences per replicated folder are reported). Event ID: 11004
    Last occurred: Friday, January 11, 2013 at 12:39:05 PM (GMT-6:00)
    Suggested action: Verify that the files you want to replicate are not temporary and not symbolic links. 

I have checked some of the files to look for special attributes or check if they were symbolic links but no they are just regular files.

Friday, January 11, 2013 11:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Thomas,

Please check the problematic files to see if they have temporary attribute set. By design, DFSR doesn't replicate temporary files event if they resides in replicated folder. If so, you will need to use Powershell command to remove all the temporary set.

For the detail instruction on checking and solution, please kindly refer to:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/406.dfsr-does-not-replicate-temporary-files.aspx

Please let me know if it helps.

Thanks and Regards
    David Shen
    MVP (File System Storage)
    HP Enterprise Services: Solution Architect
    Microsoft Storage Team - File Cabinet Blog
    View my MCP Certifications
    My Blog
    Contact me

Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:39 PM
  • I ma actually running into issues.

After checking the attributes on the files with fsutil i can see the files have the temporary attributes set.

However if i try to run the command to remove the attribute i receive complains that the file name/path is too long. Anyway i can override this limit?

Get-childitem "D:\Local Business Data" -recurse | ForEach-Object -process {if (($_.attributes -band 0x100) -eq 0x100) {$_.attributes = ($_.attributes -band 0xFEFF)}}

Get-ChildItem : The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 26
    0 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.
    At line:1 char:14

Monday, January 14, 2013 11:08 AM
  • Hi TomaVit,

AFAIK, Fsutil command has the limitation in operating on the file which over 260 characters. I am sorry that we might not override this limit. Is it possible for you to rename the problematic files' name into short term file?

Hopefully someone else here can provide better solution.

Thanks and Regards
    David Shen
    MVP (File System Storage)
    HP Enterprise Services: Solution Architect
    Microsoft Storage Team - File Cabinet Blog
    View my MCP Certifications
    My Blog
    Contact me

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:38 PM