none
how can i disable ipv6 stack in core?

Answers

• it appears this finally works on one of the newer builds of server core 2008: ** 6.0.6001 sp1 v.222 build 6001 **

steps are as follow to unbind and disable the ipv6 stack and falling back on ipv4

-first unbind the ipv6 stack from the main lan interface:

-on core o/s launch regedit and export the following reg key before making any changes: hkey_local_machine\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip6

-go to the "Linkage" subkey and clear out the values from the Bind and Route strings completely, setting them to blank

-change the Export key's value to have only: \Devices\Tcpip6

-as noted already, disable ipv6 by:

-going to the "Parameters" subkey

-create a dword (matching your o/s type, 32bit/64bit) and name it DisabledComponents

-set the hex value to FF

-close everything out and reboot, once you log back in check ipconfig /all and you should no longer see any ipv6 info or stack bindings from the ip6 protocol

hope this helps

Thursday, July 05, 2007 4:59 PM
  • You can disable but not uninstall.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/ipv6/ipv6faq.mspx

Q.

How do I disable IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008?

A.

Unlike Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 cannot be uninstalled. However, you can disable IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 by doing one of the following:

In the Network Connections folder, obtain properties on all of your connections and adapters and clear the check box next to the Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) component in the list under This connection uses the following items.

This method disables IPv6 on your LAN interfaces and connections, but does not disable IPv6 on tunnel interfaces or the IPv6 loopback interface.

Add the following registry value (DWORD type) set to 0xFF:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents

This method disables IPv6 on all your LAN interfaces, connections, and tunnel interfaces but does not disable the IPv6 loopback interface. You must restart the computer for this registry value to take effect.

For additional information about the DisabledComponents registry value, see Configuring IPv6 with Windows Vista.

If you disable IPv6, you will not be able to use Windows Meeting Space or any application that relies on the Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking platform or the Teredo transition technology.

Cheers!

Thursday, June 07, 2007 5:40 PM
  • Thanks for your reply AJ

I used the 0xFF value (255 decimal), rebooted, but ipv6 is still enabled on my LAN and loopback interfaces, i tried the other values in the table as well, like 0x11, but they also failed to disable the stack after i checked ipconfig /all

Before all of this i was actually comparing the registry values in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip6" and its subkeys from a 2k8 server where ipv6 had been disabled via the GUI to my Core server where it's enabled.  i backed up the key and replicated the major differences in an attempt to unbind ipv6 from my LAN interface on Core Server, but after restarting it, it did not make a diffence, I also used regmon to see if there are any other keys i'm missing here when you toggle ipv6 on or off via the GUI but no luck

i'm not sure if any of these steps have been tested in 2008, so i'm emailing the ipv6 blog site for some more help...i'll include updates if i get them here...

Thursday, June 07, 2007 7:24 PM
  • Perhaps you take a minute to read this before you disable IPv4 or the IPv6 stack:

----------------------------------------------------

Domain Name System

If you disable either the IPv4 or the IPv6 stack after you have installed the domain name system (DNS) Server role, you will experience timeouts and delays in DNS queries.

Do not enable or disable the IPv4 or the IPv6 stack unless necessary.

If you must enable or disable either stack after installing the DNS Server role, restart the DNS Server service.

If you cannot restart the DNS Server service, manually remove the invalid forwarders for the disabled stack. For example, if the IPv6 stack is disabled, remove the IPv6 forwarders.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:04 PM

All replies

• You can disable but not uninstall.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/ipv6/ipv6faq.mspx

Q.

How do I disable IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008?

A.

Unlike Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 cannot be uninstalled. However, you can disable IPv6 in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 by doing one of the following:

In the Network Connections folder, obtain properties on all of your connections and adapters and clear the check box next to the Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) component in the list under This connection uses the following items.

This method disables IPv6 on your LAN interfaces and connections, but does not disable IPv6 on tunnel interfaces or the IPv6 loopback interface.

Add the following registry value (DWORD type) set to 0xFF:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\DisabledComponents

This method disables IPv6 on all your LAN interfaces, connections, and tunnel interfaces but does not disable the IPv6 loopback interface. You must restart the computer for this registry value to take effect.

For additional information about the DisabledComponents registry value, see Configuring IPv6 with Windows Vista.

If you disable IPv6, you will not be able to use Windows Meeting Space or any application that relies on the Windows Peer-to-Peer Networking platform or the Teredo transition technology.

Cheers!

Thursday, June 07, 2007 5:40 PM
  • Thanks for your reply AJ

I used the 0xFF value (255 decimal), rebooted, but ipv6 is still enabled on my LAN and loopback interfaces, i tried the other values in the table as well, like 0x11, but they also failed to disable the stack after i checked ipconfig /all

Before all of this i was actually comparing the registry values in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip6" and its subkeys from a 2k8 server where ipv6 had been disabled via the GUI to my Core server where it's enabled.  i backed up the key and replicated the major differences in an attempt to unbind ipv6 from my LAN interface on Core Server, but after restarting it, it did not make a diffence, I also used regmon to see if there are any other keys i'm missing here when you toggle ipv6 on or off via the GUI but no luck

i'm not sure if any of these steps have been tested in 2008, so i'm emailing the ipv6 blog site for some more help...i'll include updates if i get them here...

Thursday, June 07, 2007 7:24 PM
  • Perhaps you take a minute to read this before you disable IPv4 or the IPv6 stack:

----------------------------------------------------

Domain Name System

If you disable either the IPv4 or the IPv6 stack after you have installed the domain name system (DNS) Server role, you will experience timeouts and delays in DNS queries.

Do not enable or disable the IPv4 or the IPv6 stack unless necessary.

If you must enable or disable either stack after installing the DNS Server role, restart the DNS Server service.

If you cannot restart the DNS Server service, manually remove the invalid forwarders for the disabled stack. For example, if the IPv6 stack is disabled, remove the IPv6 forwarders.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:04 PM
  • it appears this finally works on one of the newer builds of server core 2008: ** 6.0.6001 sp1 v.222 build 6001 **

steps are as follow to unbind and disable the ipv6 stack and falling back on ipv4

-first unbind the ipv6 stack from the main lan interface:

-on core o/s launch regedit and export the following reg key before making any changes: hkey_local_machine\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip6

-go to the "Linkage" subkey and clear out the values from the Bind and Route strings completely, setting them to blank

-change the Export key's value to have only: \Devices\Tcpip6

-as noted already, disable ipv6 by:

-going to the "Parameters" subkey

-create a dword (matching your o/s type, 32bit/64bit) and name it DisabledComponents

-set the hex value to FF

-close everything out and reboot, once you log back in check ipconfig /all and you should no longer see any ipv6 info or stack bindings from the ip6 protocol

hope this helps

Thursday, July 05, 2007 4:59 PM
  • I found the standard MS instructions in the earlier post worked off the bat.

Jon
    Wednesday, July 09, 2008 11:35 AM
  • Run this command from Windows 7 or Win 2008 server to do the same. Make sure you open cmd with "Run As Administrator" and copy paste the following :-

reg add hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip6\parameters /v DisabledComponents /t REG_DWORD /d 255

Worked fine on mine. Use it on your own risk.

• Proposed as answer by Jeramy_T Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:52 PM
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:14 PM