none
Why am I unable to apply more than a few updates at a time in a terminal services environment?

    Question

  • Hello:

    We have two terminal services (Citrix) servers that receives updates via WSUS. We have it so that the updates will download but require a manual install. When you try to run the updates, it proceeds like normal and when it gets to the end, it gives an error saying that all but a few updates was able to apply. If I run it again, it does the same thing over and over.

    I have disabled quotas on the servers via policy but that did not resolve the issue (as another post suggested). I have also verified that the NoWindowsUpdate registry key is set to allow update installs. BITS is started and set to Automatic (Delayed) (as suggested in another post). I have also looked up the error codes listed below and the fixes did not help me. I do not have this issue on any of our other servers that receive the same policy.

    Anyone have a clue why this happening?

    Thanks

    Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:19 PM

Answers

  • Any other suggestions?

    Yes, certainly, but I needed to clarify the first question first.

    Next note, the error code:

    Error 0x80246007 SUS_E_DM_NOTDOWNLOADED The update has not been downloaded.

    It seems that the system was unable to download the update from the WSUS server and thus failed to install. The question becomes why the download failed. Your quota configuration is certainly one place to start. You say that you've disabled quotas; have you verified that the quotas are actually disabled for ALL USERS (most notably for the SYSTEM account, which is the context in which update files are downloaded from the WSUS server).

    Inspection of the WindowsUpdate.log for additional details regarding the download failures is the next step.


    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

    • Proposed as answer by Yagmoth555MVP Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steinomite Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:55 PM
    Monday, May 27, 2013 9:01 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • Hi, if you check online and bypass the wsus, does it do the same symptom ?

    MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

    Twitter - @yagmoth555 ()
    Blog: http://www.jabea.net | http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/

    Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:15 AM
  • Hi Yagmoth555:

    I removed the server from policy (so that it wasn't getting WSUS and the same issue occurred.

    Thanks

    Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:55 PM
  • Anyone have a clue why this happening?

    Are you installing updates from a TS session, or have you placed the server in single-user mode and launched the update installation from the console?

    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

    Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:10 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi Lawrence:

    If you mean by putting the server in Install Mode and launching the updates from Control Panel > Windows Updates, then yes I have tried that. I still have the same issue.

    Thanks

    Friday, May 17, 2013 10:54 PM
  • Any other suggestions?

    Thanks

    Friday, May 24, 2013 11:27 PM
  • Any other suggestions?

    Yes, certainly, but I needed to clarify the first question first.

    Next note, the error code:

    Error 0x80246007 SUS_E_DM_NOTDOWNLOADED The update has not been downloaded.

    It seems that the system was unable to download the update from the WSUS server and thus failed to install. The question becomes why the download failed. Your quota configuration is certainly one place to start. You say that you've disabled quotas; have you verified that the quotas are actually disabled for ALL USERS (most notably for the SYSTEM account, which is the context in which update files are downloaded from the WSUS server).

    Inspection of the WindowsUpdate.log for additional details regarding the download failures is the next step.


    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

    • Proposed as answer by Yagmoth555MVP Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steinomite Wednesday, May 29, 2013 3:55 PM
    Monday, May 27, 2013 9:01 PM
    Moderator
  • I decided to look at disk quotas again and noticed that our policy was not managing it (as previously noted), but it was enabled at the OS level on the drive itself. I turned it off and the updates installed with no problem.

    Thanks all for the advice!

    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 8:13 PM