none
Server 2008 R2 Running very slow.

Question

• My Company are running a Windows Server 2008 R2 as a guest in VMware vSphere 4.1. This server is both our PDC and Exchange server. 8GB RAM and 4 CPU cores are allocated for it.

The problem is that it is running very slow making it very difficult to manage. Installing updates takes forever. Right now it is installing two update rollup packages for the Exchange server and its been workingion it for8 hours. Last time I tried running Windows update on it, it took 40 (forty) hours.

VMware tools are installed and running.

Please help. If anyone has suggestions on what to look for I't will be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Peter Schou.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:19 PM

All replies

• It’s not recommended that you run exchange server on a domain controller. See this KB. I suspect its an Exchange specific problem because Exchange could use up all of the 8gb RAM. I would suggest move Exchange to another VM guest and see if the DC still runs slow. It could also be a vSphere environment performance issue, you could follow this guide: vSphere 4.1 Performance Troubleshooting Guide

Monday, January 28, 2013 8:21 AM
  • Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm aware that running Exchange on an AD is not recommended. However it's a small Company and we only have one Win 2008 R2 license and only 20 users.

Logon to Windows computers and Authentification against AD is ok. Access to emails via Outlook is also ok. So basic users are not affected. However logon to the server either by RDP or through VM console takes several minutes. Trying to open 'server manager' or Exchange management console takes 5+ minutes. Often the mmc complaints about snap-ins not responding. Eventually server manager or Exchange manager will open op, but they are slow to respond to user inputs.

The server does not use all the 8GB ram. Currently it's using 6,8 GB.  One process 'svhost (DcomLaunch)' is constantly loading the system 25% (hogging ? one of the processors).

I will take a look at the vSphere troubleshooter. Thanks for the link. I can say now that the VMWare host is not overcommitted. Physical RAM is 24 GB with only 20 GB allocated to VM's. Two physical processors, each with 4 cores and ht. There are 5 other VM's running on the same host without problems. Storage is a SAN solution.

I will be back when I been through the vSphere trouble shoting.

Best regards

Peter Schou

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:12 PM