none
memory could not be written / read

Question

• I've been receiving these error messages about once a day, sometimes twice a day ever since installing WSUS 3 SP1 (clean, no wsus before, no SQL server):

Application popup:

w3wp.exe - application error: the instruction at "0x001f0001" referenced memory at "0x001f0001". The memory could not be "written". 

OR

w3wp.exe - application error: the instruction at "0x6a2a2fec" referenced memory at "0x0000000c". The memory could not be "read". 

I don't believe I have corrupt memory because it's the same address being referenced all the time by the same program. I would think if the memory would be corrupt other programs would be experiencing this problem as well. I think it's a permissions error that is not allowing it to read & write but I have added the required permisions that the step-by-step guide & deployment guide indicated. Today I've only received the "could not be written" error.

These are the permissions I have set:

d:\ (drive where wsus is installed) = network service = read, read & execute, list folder contents
    wsus root folder = network service = read, read & execute, list folder contents
    wsuscontent folder = network service = full control
    %windir%\Microsoft .NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files = network service = full control
    %windir%\Temp = network service = full control
    internet guest account in default web site in IIS = read, read & execute, list folder contents, deny write
    anonymous access is enabled on default website

Does anyone have clue as to why I'm getting this error?
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:49 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your reply Eric Zhang. Having to call PSS is not what I want to do. However, I have found the fix to my problem so I will post it here in case anyone gets that message in the future.

The problem was probably the .Net Framework 2. I didn't have this update prior to installing WSUS and only installed it because WSUS required it. A setting was changed on IIS that caused the read/write memory problem. The recycle process in IIS was checked as well as the shutdown process. The shutdown was set at 20 minutes and the recycle process was set at some high number. I assumed that when the process was shut down after 20 minutes then when the recycler would come on there would be nothing to recycle and that's when the error would occur. So I unchecked the recycler option and it has been almost a week without the "memory could not be written/read" error. I don't know how that setting changed in IIS but I can only assume it was .Net Framework 2 although I don't know if it could change that setting. So if anyone has this particular problem check your IIS settings because they may have changed!

• Marked as answer by drivenbywhat Monday, October 20, 2008 4:07 PM
    • Edited by drivenbywhat Monday, October 20, 2008 4:08 PM
    Monday, October 20, 2008 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For this memory issue, we need to collect Memory Dump with DebugDiag.

Thus, we are not the best resource for this issue. Your understanding on this matter is appreciated.

Based on the current situation, I suggest contacting our Customer Service (800) 426-9400 for direct assistance, available Monday through Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang

Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:17 AM
  • Thank you for your reply Eric Zhang. Having to call PSS is not what I want to do. However, I have found the fix to my problem so I will post it here in case anyone gets that message in the future.

The problem was probably the .Net Framework 2. I didn't have this update prior to installing WSUS and only installed it because WSUS required it. A setting was changed on IIS that caused the read/write memory problem. The recycle process in IIS was checked as well as the shutdown process. The shutdown was set at 20 minutes and the recycle process was set at some high number. I assumed that when the process was shut down after 20 minutes then when the recycler would come on there would be nothing to recycle and that's when the error would occur. So I unchecked the recycler option and it has been almost a week without the "memory could not be written/read" error. I don't know how that setting changed in IIS but I can only assume it was .Net Framework 2 although I don't know if it could change that setting. So if anyone has this particular problem check your IIS settings because they may have changed!

• Marked as answer by drivenbywhat Monday, October 20, 2008 4:07 PM
    • Edited by drivenbywhat Monday, October 20, 2008 4:08 PM
    Monday, October 20, 2008 4:06 PM
  • Possible Reasons that Cause “Memory could not be read or written” Error and How to Fix

source from http://blog.teesupport.com/how-to-guide-fix-memory-could-not-be-read-or-written-error/

1. Invalid Plug-ins

In the process of web browsing, many plug-ins can be secretly installed to the computer system, and they are usually difficult to delete. Those plug-ins can easily lead to conflicts with other applications which directly cause the memory read and write errors.

How to Fix: Remove Invalid plug-ins. Let’s take FireFox for example, launch a firefox windows, click “Tools” , select “Add-ons”, remove unnecessary add-ons and plug-ins. It is also necessary to use a powerful security software to regularly check whether the system is installed a variety of junk software program and plug-ins, if any, clean them in a timely manner.

2. System Service is malicious modified

Windows Management Instrumentation service is tightly relevant to the memory read and write operation, which if mistakenly modified or stop will definitely lead to memory read/write failure.

How to Fix: Manually repair Windows Management Instrumentation service. Here are the detailed steps:

1) Right click “My Computer” icon on the desktop, select “Manage”, then “Computer Management Computer (local)”, then “Services and Applications”, then “Services”, on the right side area, locate Windows Management Instrumentation service, right click and pause the service.

2) Locate C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository directory and back up all the files in Repository folder, when the backup is completed, clean Repository folder.

3) Restart your computer, locate Windows Management Instrumentation service as step 1) and right click and start Windows Management Instrumentation service again. This time Windows Management Instrumentation service will be working normally.

3. Memory read/write associated system files are damaged or missing.

If your computer is accidently infected with virus or encountered with some mistaken operation and cause the memory read/write associated system files corrupted or missing. It will not be surprised for you to get the “Memory could not be read or written” error warning.

How to Fix: remove security threats and repair system files.

1)       Firstly run a full scan with a powerful security software to remove potential security threats. If antivirus software is not capable to remove the infections, you can try a manual removal.

2)       Use SFC Command to repair corrupted system files. Go to start menu, run “CMD ” without quotation marks, input sfc /scannow in the pop-up command windows and press Enter. This command will scan every corner of your system, once it find any damaged or improper system files, it will pop up a prompt to ask you insert Windows setup disk to extract the correct system files to replace the damaged ones. If the system repair operation is successful, after restart, you will see no more “Memory could not be read or written” error messages.

4. System memory usage is too high

We all know that running a large program or game consume considerable system memory resources, if there is not enough memory you may probably get “Memory could not be read or written” error.

How to Fix: Firstly, restart your computer and close unnecessary applications and turn off background monitoring software. To avoid this error, it is recommended to upgrade the memory in order to expand the effective use of memory space.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 1:15 PM