none
Installing Server 2008 User CALS

Question

• I have a 2 server Windows 2008 network - each server has the 5 user cals they came with - now I need to add additional users.  I bought a 5 user cal package which consists of an activation key.  How do I install the key?  I have searched diligently for days on the net and in over 20 books on Server 2008 - NOWHERE can I find instructions for this simple task!  Is there a document somewhere that describes installation, and the practical differences in USING user vs device cals (how are they assigned, how are they shared between servers, etc)?

Richard
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 11:34 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Before we go any further, I’d like to confirm which type of licenses you would like to install, Windows license or terminal service license.

Windows License

---------------------

You do not need to install Per User or Per Device CAL. The only thing you require is the EULA ( End User License Agreement ) which confirms the number of licenses purchased.

In Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003, we have the license logging service. However, because of original design constraints and evolving license terms and conditions, LLS cannot provide an accurate view of the total number of CALs that are purchased as compared to the total number of CALs that are used on a single server or across the enterprise. As a result, this service is disabled by default on Windows Server 2003 and is completely removed on Windows Server 2008.

824196 Description of the License Logging Service in Windows Server Operating Systems

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824196

Terminal License

---------------------

“differences in USING user vs device cals”

When Per Device licensing mode is used, and a client computer or device connects to a terminal server for the first time, the client computer or device is issued a temporary license by default. When a client computer or device connects to a terminal server for the second time, if the license server is activated and enough TS Per Device CALs are available, the license server issues the client computer or device a permanent TS Per Device CAL.

A TS Per User CAL gives one user the right to access a terminal server from an unlimited number of client computers or devices. TS Per User CALs are not enforced by TS Licensing. As a result, client connections can occur regardless of the number of TS Per User CALs installed on the license server. This does not absolve administrators from the Microsoft Software License Terms requirements to have a valid TS Per User CAL for each user. Failure to have a TS Per User CAL for each user, if Per User licensing mode is being used, is a violation of the license terms.

To ensure that you are in compliance with the license terms, make sure that you track the number of TS Per User CALs being used in your organization and that you have a sufficient number of TS Per User CALs installed on the license server to provide a TS Per User CAL for each user that needs to connect to the terminal server.

“How do I install the key?”

There are three methods(Internet, Web, Telephone) by which you can install Terminal Services client access licenses (TS CALs) onto your license server by using the Install Licenses Wizard in the TS Licensing Manager tool. I will share you’re the following method to achieve your goal.

To install Terminal Services client access licenses automatically

1. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, point to Terminal Services, and then click TS Licensing Manager.
    2. Verify that the connection method for the Terminal Services license server is set to Automatic connection (recommended) by right-clicking the license server on which you want to install TS CALs, and then clicking Properties. On the Connection Method tab, change the connection method if necessary, and then click OK.
    3. In the console tree, right-click the Terminal Services license server on which you want to install the TS CALs, click Install Licenses to open the Install Licenses Wizard, and then click Next.
    4. On the License Program page, select the appropriate program through which you purchased your TS CALs, and then click Next.
    5. The License Program that you selected on the previous page in the wizard will determine what information you will need to provide on this page. In most cases, you will have to provide either a license code or an agreement number. Consult the documentation provided when you purchased your TS CALs.
    6. After you have entered the required information, click Next.
    7. On the Product Version and License Type page, select the appropriate product version, license type, and quantity of TS CALs for your environment based on your TS CAL purchase agreement, and then click Next.
    8. The Microsoft Clearinghouse is automatically contacted and processes your request. The TS CALs are then automatically installed onto the license server.
    9. On the Completing the Install Licenses Wizard page, click Finish. The Terminal Services license server can now issue TS CALs to clients that connect to a terminal server.

For more information, please refer to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754746.aspx

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Friday, January 09, 2009 10:09 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Before we go any further, I’d like to confirm which type of licenses you would like to install, Windows license or terminal service license.

Windows License

---------------------

You do not need to install Per User or Per Device CAL. The only thing you require is the EULA ( End User License Agreement ) which confirms the number of licenses purchased.

In Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003, we have the license logging service. However, because of original design constraints and evolving license terms and conditions, LLS cannot provide an accurate view of the total number of CALs that are purchased as compared to the total number of CALs that are used on a single server or across the enterprise. As a result, this service is disabled by default on Windows Server 2003 and is completely removed on Windows Server 2008.

824196 Description of the License Logging Service in Windows Server Operating Systems

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824196

Terminal License

---------------------

“differences in USING user vs device cals”

When Per Device licensing mode is used, and a client computer or device connects to a terminal server for the first time, the client computer or device is issued a temporary license by default. When a client computer or device connects to a terminal server for the second time, if the license server is activated and enough TS Per Device CALs are available, the license server issues the client computer or device a permanent TS Per Device CAL.

A TS Per User CAL gives one user the right to access a terminal server from an unlimited number of client computers or devices. TS Per User CALs are not enforced by TS Licensing. As a result, client connections can occur regardless of the number of TS Per User CALs installed on the license server. This does not absolve administrators from the Microsoft Software License Terms requirements to have a valid TS Per User CAL for each user. Failure to have a TS Per User CAL for each user, if Per User licensing mode is being used, is a violation of the license terms.

To ensure that you are in compliance with the license terms, make sure that you track the number of TS Per User CALs being used in your organization and that you have a sufficient number of TS Per User CALs installed on the license server to provide a TS Per User CAL for each user that needs to connect to the terminal server.

“How do I install the key?”

There are three methods(Internet, Web, Telephone) by which you can install Terminal Services client access licenses (TS CALs) onto your license server by using the Install Licenses Wizard in the TS Licensing Manager tool. I will share you’re the following method to achieve your goal.

To install Terminal Services client access licenses automatically

1. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, point to Terminal Services, and then click TS Licensing Manager.
    2. Verify that the connection method for the Terminal Services license server is set to Automatic connection (recommended) by right-clicking the license server on which you want to install TS CALs, and then clicking Properties. On the Connection Method tab, change the connection method if necessary, and then click OK.
    3. In the console tree, right-click the Terminal Services license server on which you want to install the TS CALs, click Install Licenses to open the Install Licenses Wizard, and then click Next.
    4. On the License Program page, select the appropriate program through which you purchased your TS CALs, and then click Next.
    5. The License Program that you selected on the previous page in the wizard will determine what information you will need to provide on this page. In most cases, you will have to provide either a license code or an agreement number. Consult the documentation provided when you purchased your TS CALs.
    6. After you have entered the required information, click Next.
    7. On the Product Version and License Type page, select the appropriate product version, license type, and quantity of TS CALs for your environment based on your TS CAL purchase agreement, and then click Next.
    8. The Microsoft Clearinghouse is automatically contacted and processes your request. The TS CALs are then automatically installed onto the license server.
    9. On the Completing the Install Licenses Wizard page, click Finish. The Terminal Services license server can now issue TS CALs to clients that connect to a terminal server.

For more information, please refer to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754746.aspx

Nick Gu - MSFT
    Friday, January 09, 2009 10:09 AM
  • Nick-
    Thanks - you answered my question.  I was concerned about user/device cals, not Terminal cals, but the extra info is appreciated.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:59 AM
  • Hello,

I realize this is an older thread, but I had a similar question.  I'd like to confirm a couple things.  We purchased 1 Windows Server 2008 server license and 11 device CAL's.  I've activated the server with the key that we got.  Now, I don't need to do anything else, right?  We have the paperwork that says we own 11 device CAL's, but it's pretty much "honor system" that we limit the number of devices connecting to the server to 11, correct?  There's nothing on the server that tells it "only 11 devices may connect to me," correct?

If that's the case, here are some follow up questions:
    1. How do I control which 11 devices may connect?  Is that an Active Directory thing?
    2. If you include the administrator account, there are 4 (maybe 5) AD users that will need to use Remote Desktop to connect to either the server or another computer on the network.  Do we need Terminal Services licenses for this?  I will note here that our server is Enterprise Core running Hyper-V with 3 virtual machines.  The ONLY way to access these VM's is through RDP.
    3. If I do need TS licenses, do I purchase them through a retailer?  And then use the steps you mentioned to activate?  What is the point of "installing" if it doesn't keep track of them?  Is this "honor system" like the device CAL's?

Thanks
    Tom
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:24 PM
  • This problem is a little frustrating.  I purchased device CALs with my new server using SBS 2008.  I don't know if I've used up the number I purchased with the server, because I can't verify the amount I purchased.  Further, I thought I initially purchased 5, but I now have 6 clients.  I've already purchased another five device CALs, but I don't know if I need to "install" them on the server, and I am unable to connect a seventh client.  Ideas?

TIA

Paul

Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:02 PM
  • Love how the people with knowledge on this subject just abandon it... :-/ From what I'm reading above, I think it goes like this...

1. Windows Server 2008 CALs are on an "honor system". Nowhere do you put in CAL codes or tell it how many Users/Devices/CALs you have. You just need the paperwork proving you purchased 'x-amount' of CALs if Uncle Bill shows up for an audit.

2. If you want to use Remote Desktop, you DO have to enter in legitimate CAL code/activation number in the licensing panel.

• Proposed as answer by DS1973 Monday, February 11, 2013 2:57 PM
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Rather than spend several days going through all the tech info Microsoft so graciously provides, I decided to take the quick route (being sarcastic here), and phone Microsoft tech support.

The first 5 people I talked to were Indian and was extremely difficult to understand what they were saying.  When I got to the 10th transfer, she finally said she was going to send me a link for more information then transferred me to an 11th person, who again was oblivious and transferred me to number 12 but stayed on the line to listen.  By this time I finally received my email from transfer number 10 which explained that this feature was removed from Windows Server 2008.

Even though I didn't research this for several days, I was on the phone for over an hour and a half.

Microsoft has become too big and has become a total waste of time when trying to find something out.

Now it is based on an honor system when referring to the CALs.  Great.  Lost an hour and a half of my life to re-confirm what I have always thought about Microsoft and that is Microsoft loves to hire idiots to confuse computer dealers and end users.

I have been in business selling, building and supporting computer systems and in the 22 years I have been in business, have called them a total of 10 times.  I have never received a solution to any of my problems.

Every time I have researched on Google, I have found a solution to any and all problems.  Not so with Microsoft.  They just want to sell you a product and use their profits to aggravate, annoy and irritate all of us.

It is no wonder so many people try to cheat, steal and bootleg their stuff.

It doens't bother old Bill for he is rich in the billions.  Too bad, he could be rich in the trillions.

Just once I would like to call them, talk to one person and be off the phone in 5 minutes.  Is that too much to ask?  Apparently so.

Martin

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 7:37 PM
  • Ok everyone...Let's make it real fast and simple for everyone who has a job and other stuff to do all day. Here is a fast tutorial on setting How to Activate Remote Desktop Services for Windows Server 2008 R2 Edition. I am SO serious...they need to have an English competency requirement before putting these folks on the phone. I had a better time going to talking support in Spanish and I'm not fluent!!!! Enjoy...it drove me nuts trying to call support so I just did a tutorial so nobody else has to suffer!!!!

http://blog.migrationking.com/2011/02/how-to-active-remote-desktop-services.html

http://blog.migrationking.com

http://www.migrationking.com

I hope this helps someone! I don't know who in the world is doing their Technical Writing, but they need to fire them and get real Instructional Designers. Their documentation really is NOT helpful!!!!!

AND FOR ALL THE POSTERS WITH PARAGRAPHS OF TEXT...NO ONE WANTS TO READ A BOOK! A screenshot is worth a thousands words.

Thanks,

MigrationKing

Friday, February 25, 2011 12:38 AM
  • Absolutely perfect MigrationKings!

I also want to add that, if you call MS, they will issue you an MAK based on the Server CAL so you can activate the RDS Server. I was not required to purchase anything.

So, when you follow the above instructions, you wont need the 25 char key (typical retail install key), you will need the 8 digit License number and the 15 digit Activation string. You can get that by choosing to "Download all Product Keys" from your Volume Licensing Service Center Account.

https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/servicecenter/home.aspx

The file is a csv and the first two numbers in the row are the keys you need for the above instructions.

Thanks very much for the great instructions!

Saturday, August 13, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Thanks!
    Friday, September 30, 2011 6:37 PM
  • The issue I have is that my users need to map the shared drive on Server 2008 R2. The server has initial 5 user CALs. The server will reject the user access after the 5 user CALs are used up. We purchase additional 7 CALs. But could not find a way to expand the number from 5 to 12. Any advice will be appreciated.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 10:03 PM
  • MS is so retarded sometimes.. Seriously mind-boggling...

Thursday, February 02, 2012 7:51 AM