none
Windows Server 2003 and Bit Locker

Question

• I have an external USB3 hard drive that I use for off-premises backup. It is encrypted with Bitlocker. The data on this drive is sensitive and must be secured. When I plug the drive into a USB port on my server, I am not given an opportunity to mount the volume - I am asked only if I wish to format the drive. If plugged into a Windows 2007 computer, it operates properly.

Is there any means of using this drive with Windows 2003 Server?

Monday, December 03, 2012 10:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi David,

Could it be the power of the USB port when you actually plug onto the server. Understand certain USB port can only deliver a maximum amount of power. In addition, under circumstances where there is an underpower, i notice OS will suggest for a format drive.

You may go to device manager to look for the usb root hub properties to view the maximum power available per port.

Try connecting additional usb power supply to support powering your hdd. Else, you may want to try going through another USB port or something.

Hope the above helps.

Good luck!

Regards,

Ric T.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 2:38 AM
  • On Windows 2003 Server you should be able to only read data from this hard drive.

You can write data on this disk only with Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 computer

Best regards
    Dubravko Marak
    MCP, MVP
    Blog: Windows Server Administration
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 7:07 AM
  • Hi,

Please download BitLocker To Go Reader to see if it can help you.

More reference:

Can a USB flash drive encrypted with Bitlocker to go be accessed on Windows Server 2003/2008?

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 5:05 PM
  • And one important notice

Try not to format USB HDD with NTFS file system

In that case your drive won’t be recognized by Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP OS

You must use FAT32 or format disk to NTFS on Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP OS before you encrypt it with BitLocker on Windows Server 2008 or Windows 7

Best regards
    Dubravko Marak
    MCP, MVP
    Blog: Windows Server Administration
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, December 08, 2012 8:51 AM