none
Windows 2008 R2 File Server getting sharing violation errors in Excel with Windows XP/7 Clients when trying to save files on the server.

Question

• I recently setup a 2008 R2 File server for one of our company's remote sites. The server does have SP1 isntalled on it. The data that was copied over to the servers use to reside on EMC vMax CIF shares to now being placed on the local disk of said file server.  The data is setup and shared via DFS and is replicated back to headquarters nightly. I have about 150 users on site running a combo of Windows XP and Window 7 clients, which are also running Office 2010. 

Yesterday we had users experiencing sharing violation errors when trying to access and save their Excel files to the server share.  It looks as if when someone opens a file it doesn't register to the file server that the file is in use and should be locked out. So in the following scenario User A opens up an excel file to modify it, the server doesn't see this and doesn't lock the file, User B go to open the same file, when User A tries to save the file (sharing violation error occurs).

I notice there was this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2434932 but since the issue wasn't related to non-DFS but in fact a DFS share, could I still use it?

Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can use the DFSRDIAG BACKLOG command to check for sharing violations. Also reboot the server and re monitor the events.

MCTS - Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. http://mariusene.wordpress.com/

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:20 PM
  • This configuration has worked for you and you experienced sharing violation after some time?

What had happened before users have had this experience? Any update? New AV program or update? 

http://esupport.trendmicro.com/Pages/Sharing-violation-occurs-when-saving-Microsoft-Excel-or-Word-files-.aspx

Regards

Milos

Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:27 PM
  • This configuration has worked for you and you experienced sharing violation after some time?
    Yes it looks as if this started about 3 days ago after working fine for over 4 weeks now since the site was brought online.

What had happened before users have had this experience? Any update? New AV program or update?
    I haven't rolled any patches to the site since the Jan MS patches, so the system was functioning fine with the patches that were released in Jan. None of the Feb patches have been deployed to those systems yet. Also we are in the middle of doing AV update from Symantic Endpoint Protection(SEP) v11 to SEP v12  however those systems haven't received the new SEP version yet. And its not really affecting all the users only a select number of folks (maybe 15 end users).

Thank you for the link, I'll look into it.

Friday, February 24, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm that have you tried the suggestions Milos Puchta provided and what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 02, 2012 6:15 AM