none
Mount Local Disk on Network Share.

Question

• I have realitivly the same question. I have a rather large file server which is running Server03 R2 and I need to mount a local disk on my desktop. Not a network drive but an actual local disk as windows would say. I know there is a way to do it with a linux server but unfortunatly at this location we dont have one. Any options?

Thanks
    Kevin Neberman
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 7:15 AM

Answers

•  

You can do it in two ways (depending on what the app allows).

1. you can assign a drive letter to the network share, type "net use z: \\server\share", and use Z: to refer to the share. (If your app doesn't check for local drive).

2. You need to have a wintarget, and expose a VHD file on the server to the client as a local disk. The client logs on the taget through iSCSI initiator. The wintarget is not free to all windows, you need to get the application pack, iSCSI initiator is free.

Hope this helps.

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:48 PM

All replies

• I'm not exactly sure what you want to achieve. Do you have a volume on the disk?

Do you want to present a disk from the server to the client (desktop)? And use the client to access the disk as if it was a local disk?

Sunday, February 24, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Almost. I want a network share "\\server\share" to be presented as a local disk on the system, the app I am using for a few things does not allow network drives only local disks.

- Thanks
    Monday, February 25, 2008 10:30 AM
  •  

You can do it in two ways (depending on what the app allows).

1. you can assign a drive letter to the network share, type "net use z: \\server\share", and use Z: to refer to the share. (If your app doesn't check for local drive).

2. You need to have a wintarget, and expose a VHD file on the server to the client as a local disk. The client logs on the taget through iSCSI initiator. The wintarget is not free to all windows, you need to get the application pack, iSCSI initiator is free.

Hope this helps.

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:48 PM