none
Hyper-V 3.0 Windows 8 server requirements

General discussion

• I'm trying to get an understanding of the hardware requirements for Hyper-v 3.0 in Windows Server 8.

I want to run this in a lab environment but want to be sure I have the hardware needed.

I've come across comments that a SLAT enabled processor will be required to run Hyper-V with RemoteFX (same as now)
    or if you want to use Hyper-V in the desktop versions of Windows 8.

The confusing area for me (and I'm no expert) is that i read of support for SR-IOV, at least for the
    virtual switch in Hyper-V 3.0.

Wouldn't SR-IOV require passthrough? vt-d from an intel standpoint with a chipset and bios that supports passthrough?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:01 PM

All replies

• The only people that know, MS employees, can't tell.

Win8 isn't even in beta yet and generally MS does not comment on unreleased products.  At this point, the requirements are likely still a moving target.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 12:10 AM
  • Hi,

Hyper-V on Windows 8 Client version requires the processor to support Secondary Level Address Translation (SLAT). Hyper-V on Windows 8 Server version doesn’t need SLAT(the same as previous version), SLAT is required only if you want to use RemoteFX.

Best regards,
    Vincent Hu

Thursday, February 16, 2012 1:24 AM
  • Intel Xeon 5500 may support. I have installed Win8 Server Beta on our lab environmnet and set up an guest OS within the help of Hyper-v. But the driver development process seems torturing...
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 2:33 AM