none
Cleaning a disgracefully retired Windows Server 2012 "RD Virtualization Host" from the RDS 2012 DB?

Question

• I am trying to get rid of a disgracefully "Retired" Windows Server 2012 "RD Virtualization Host". The old virtualization host shows under the "Host Servers" section however as it's no longer accessible, when I try to remove I get the error "Could not remove the configuration. Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Currently It doesn't hurt for me to have it listed on the server list manager however 

Monday, January 21, 2013 9:32 AM

Answers

• Well, I guess no takers on this one... I ended up uninstalling the RDS roles from all the RDS configuration member servers as once the Server Manager refreshed I couldn't even go into RDS configuration pane due the missing server.  After uninstalling all reconfigured them from scratch and it's all good and healthy now. I was really hoping to find a way to manually delete the missing server so I didn't have to go through the configuration... anyways just thought I update the thread. I'm pretty sure as RDS 2012 deployments start to become more and more common we will hear more about this issue.
    • Marked as answer by Sener A Sunday, February 03, 2013 10:43 AM
    Sunday, February 03, 2013 10:42 AM
  • Sener, I came across this problem and I seem to have fixed it - might help you in future if it happens again!

Please see my blog post: http://dave.harris.net/unable-to-remove-deleted-session-hosts-from-rds2012-deployment/

Good luck!

regards,

Dave.

• Marked as answer by Sener A Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:00 PM
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 11:49 AM

All replies

• Well, I guess no takers on this one... I ended up uninstalling the RDS roles from all the RDS configuration member servers as once the Server Manager refreshed I couldn't even go into RDS configuration pane due the missing server.  After uninstalling all reconfigured them from scratch and it's all good and healthy now. I was really hoping to find a way to manually delete the missing server so I didn't have to go through the configuration... anyways just thought I update the thread. I'm pretty sure as RDS 2012 deployments start to become more and more common we will hear more about this issue.
    • Marked as answer by Sener A Sunday, February 03, 2013 10:43 AM
    Sunday, February 03, 2013 10:42 AM
  • Sener, I came across this problem and I seem to have fixed it - might help you in future if it happens again!

Please see my blog post: http://dave.harris.net/unable-to-remove-deleted-session-hosts-from-rds2012-deployment/

Good luck!

regards,

Dave.

• Marked as answer by Sener A Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:00 PM
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 11:49 AM
  • Thanks for the info Dave! I ended up wiping the PoC and rebuilt for a combination other reasons too but this is a good reference for future. Appreciate you sharing it.

Sener

Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:03 PM