none
BIOS Issue; Windows Boot Manager

Question

• I just installed Windows 7 Home Premium, and then upgraded to Windows 7 Pro.  That all went smoothly.  However, when I power on my PC now, I get the following message:

Drive 1 not found:  Serial ATA, SATA-2 and then I can choose F1 to continue (and everything finishes loading just fine), or I can choose F2 to run setup utility.

Boot Sequence:

1.  Onboard SATA hard Drive

2.  Onboard or USD CD-ROM Drive

3.  Onboard IDE Hard Drive (not present)

4.  Onboard or USB Floppy Drive (not present)

5.  USB Device (not present)

Devices:

Drive 0:  SATA-0

Drive 1:  SATA-2

Drive 2:  PATA-0

Drive 3:  PATA-1

SATA Operation:  RAID Autodetect / ATA

I do not know what I should do so my PC starts up (boots, loads) without my having to always hit the F1 key to continue.

My other issue is, after I hit the F1 key to continue, it takes me to a screen called Windows Boot Manager and asks if I want to boot to an older version of Windows, or Windows 7.  When I installed Windows 7, I told it to do a custome install, and not an inplace upgrade.  I was told I would have the option to delete the partition, and that I was to say yes.  However, I was never given this option.

How do I fix this so my PC automatically boots to Windows 7?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.  Be kind and speak in layman's terms (as much as is possible).  I am not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination.

April

• Moved by Santosh BhandarkarMVP Saturday, January 26, 2013 8:24 AM Not an issue with the Server, moving this thread from Server General forum
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 6:53 AM

Answers

• Hi April,

I suggest performing check disk as below:

1. load Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

2. Choose “Command Prompt”

3. type the following command:

Chkdsk c: /f /r

NOTE: If the system is installed on another partition, please replace C with the correct drive letter.

Please also rebuild BCD using the following commands in Command Prompt window;

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

BOOTREC /SCANOS

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 28, 2013 7:20 AM